corpus-paul - RE: Ga; 3:10-13 (People under curse)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: jkrantz AT optonline.net
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Ga; 3:10-13 (People under curse)
  • Date: 26 Oct 99 17:45:16 -0500

Mark, Moon-Ryul, and others...

Moon recently posted this question re Gal. 3:10-13, to which Mark has already
responded.
I'd like to add another recent viewpoint.

> Recently there were some discussions on the issue of "under curse" in Gal
> 3:10-13. Mark Nanos said the following:
>
> Nanos:
> Circumcision is a
> cut in the flesh to identify descendents of Abraham. Paul argues that
> this identity precedes descendency from Jacob/Moses, which is the
> identity apparently indicated by circumcision for the influencers in
> the situation addressed in Galatia. He argues that this other
> identity involves them in ***identifying with a people under a curse**,
> which they need not do since they are already identified with
> Abraham.
>
> This interpretation makes Paul say:
>
> Oh, do you want to become a Jew by being circumcised?
> But don't you know that the Jewish people is under curse?
> Why do you want to identify with those under curse?
>
> But it does not seem to match the fact that
> Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law (Gal 3:10),
> which seems to indicate that the curse of the law
> is a reality whether they are identified with
> the Jewish people or not.

As Mark hinted in his response, it may be that the "curse" indicated in this
passage refers to
the continuing state of exile of the Jewish people, so argues Neil Elliot,
with N.T. Wright.
(Elliot, _Liberating Paul_, pp. 132 ff.)

But he suggests that it isn't an argument that goes, "Don't adopt
circumcision, for it will make
you like the Jews, cursed!" but rather that (as Elliot points out) select
observance of certain
portions of the law will not gain you righteousness (something a Jew would
have understood
from the beginning, but these Gentile converts might not) and that, as Christ
has redeemed
Israel from the curse by his death at the very hands of those who oppress the
Jews, returning
to this pre-crucifixion state to gain one's righteousness means taking a
giant step back in the
very process that had redeemed the Jews, Jesus' death.

The argument seeks to demonstrate the way that God's redemption of (cursed)
Israel,
through Jesus' death has flowed now to the Gentiles, and simply seeks to keep
them from
moving backward in that timeline for the sake of righteousness gained through
"works of the
law", again, something no Jew would have expected.

I hope that I've accurately (and adequately) represented Neil's argument. It
has been most
helpful to me.

Jeff K.

Jeffrey H. Krantz