corpus-paul - victorious leader language

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: victorious leader language
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:46:05 -0500

I just saw this message on Classics-L and it piqued my curiosity.

Would any one care to comment?

Yours,

Jeffrey

******
I am beginning work on my dissertation in which I examine St. Paul's
universal salvation/justification language in Romans. I am wondering if
there might be victory speeches by ancient military or political leaders
that
would include language of universal victory even though there might
still be
opposition still to be dealt with. If I can find such language, then
that
might shed light on Paul's similar use in speaking of God's
reconciling/justifying all.

I am not familiar enough with the non-religious literature of the first
two
centuries BCE and CE to know whether such documents might exist. Any
help
would be appreciated.

thank you,
Stephen Pegler,