corpus-paul - 1Cor 8-10 vs. Rom 14

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Anders Eriksson <Anders.Eriksson AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: 1Cor 8-10 vs. Rom 14
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:45:24 +0200

Dear Joe Friberg

We seem to agree that 1 Cor 8-10 and Rom 14-15 do not address the same
situation. The common equation of the two situations is a misapplication of
the Protestant hermeneutical rule "Sacred Scripture is its own interpreter."
The incorrect equation is seen in the common description of the knowledgeable
in Corinth as "strong". The word does not ocur in 1 Cor 8-10 as a description
of a group in the Corinthian church. It is imported from Romans in the
standard exegetical discussion. I suggest that the knowledgeable in Corinth
should be called "the wise," instead of "the Strong," so also Stowers and
Glad.

There are certain words that appear in both 1 Cor 8-10 and Romans 14-15,
which might explain why the passages are read together. BRWMA, BRWSIS, KREAS,
PROSKOMMA and SKANDALON. But such key words as EIDOLOTHUTA and SUNEIDESIS
are not found in Romans.

To answer your question. The standard exegetical treatment is that the texts
treat the same situation. This is seen in the incorrect designation "Strong"
for a group in Corinth.

Anders ERiksson

Dr. Anders Eriksson, Th. D Anders.Eriksson AT teol.lu.se
Forskarassistent hem dpb983c AT tninet.se
Teologiska Institutionen
Lunds Universitet
Allhelgona Kyrkogata 8
223 62 Lund, Sweden

  • 1Cor 8-10 vs. Rom 14, Anders Eriksson, 10/13/1999