corpus-paul - Re: Authenticity in the Pauline Corpus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Authenticity in the Pauline Corpus
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 10:19:34 -0400

At 01:35 PM 10/6/99 -0500, you wrote:

>> I have for some time been aware of the general scholarly concensus that
>> the so-called "pastoral" epistles (I&II Tim, Titus) are not authentically
>> Pauline, which is to say not written by HP. I am wondering what the degree
>> of certainty is regarding the other letters of the Pauline corpus.

I subscribe to the traditional 7 epistle corpus for Paul. I.e., he wrote
Romans, 1-2 Corinthians, Galatians, Philippians, 1 Thessalonians, Philemon.
The others, 2 Thess, Colossians, Ephesians, and the Pastorals, are
pseudonymous.

Also
>> which letters are considered to originate with HP but in their current
>> form represent heavily redacted or interpolated versions of the original.

I am not sure what you mean here. Do you mean stuff Paul wrote and then was
heavily redacted? I dont think any of the letters fall into that category.
We have Paul and then we have stuff by disciples/followers of Paul. But I
dont think we have anything Pauls wrote but was then rewritten by someone
else.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium