corpus-paul - Re: populations of Ephesus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Sheila McGinn <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: populations of Ephesus
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 11:10:04 -0400

Rick Strelan wrote:

> The population of Ephesus in the second/third centuries CE is usually put
> at ca 200-225,000. I think it's important for students to recognise the
> difference between 'population' and 'citizens'. Of the latter, in Ephesus
> there were probably only about 40,000.

Rick, just wondering how you got to these figures. When I was in Ephesus
last summer,
one of the scholars with me (I think it was Peter Lampe) suggested the
population was
250,000 based on a seating of 25,000 in the amphitheater there (a 10:1 ratio
being
common for such buildings). I got the impression that he was speaking of
250,000
citizens, which would make the population of the city quite a bit larger. I
haven't
had the chance to check what Koester says in the new book on Ephesus.

Sheila

--
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

"It didn't take long to see morality as the quickest way to avoid
self-loathing."
Sue Grafton, "L" is for Lawless (New York: Holt, 1995), 205.