corpus-paul - Re: 1 Cor 15:10

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert M Schacht <bobschacht AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: 1 Cor 15:10
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:22:29 -0700

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:10:27 +1000 Craig de Vos
<csdevos AT trinity.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

>I think Richard missed my point. I wasn't asking about the
>let alone of 1 Corinthians as a whole. I was simply asking about the
>form of words Paul chose to use in 15:10a. As I read the text, Paul's
>expression there struck me precisely because EIMI HO EIMI is what I
>would expect as a translation from the Hebrew of the divine
>name/claim
>in Ex 3:14. Is there an allusion to this? If so, why? If not, why
>not?
>How would it have been heard by the (largely) Gentile Corinthians?...

Craig,
I think that Richard's point was that you CAN'T ignore the context here,
and I would agree with him. Look what Paul says about himself right
before the EIMI HO EIMI passage: he wrote that he was least of all the
apostles because of the way he persecuted the church! That is hardly the
basis on which a follower of Jesus would stake a claim of his own
divinity, even to a Gentile audience!

What this shows is that there is some ambiguity inherent in the EIMI HO
EIMI phrase that is clarified ONLY by context.

Bob