corpus-paul - Eph 1:13

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "corpus paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Eph 1:13
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:26:23 +1000

An aspect of my dissertation concerns the influence of Isaiah on the
missionary language and practice of early Christianity and of the Pauline
tradition in particular. I am seeking other List members' judgment on the
phraseology of Eph 1:13. In light of the author's clear use of Isaiah
generally in Ephesians, and of Is 52:7, in particular, in 2:17 (and possibly
6:15 as well) do you feel the writer's description of the Ephesians'
reception of the gospel in 1:13 is influenced by LXX Is 52:7b?
Eph 1:13 - AKOUSANTES TON LOGON THS ALHQEIAS TO EUAGGELION THS SWTHRIAS
hUMWN
LXX Is 52:7b - EUAGGELIZOMENOS AGAQA hOTI AKOUSTHN POIHSW THN SWTHRIAN SOU
None of the commentators I have sought raise this as a possibility, which is
often a clear sign that I am wrong.
Your thoughts would be appreciated, since I am in danger of seeing Isaiah
everywhere in Paul.
Sincerely,
John Dickson
jdickson AT bigpond.com