corpus-paul - Re: Reading Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reading Paul
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:16:34 -0700

To Perry Stepp!

> Are any list members aware of anyone reading Paul's letters from the
> perspective of the authorial audience (i.e., from the perspective outlined
> by Hans Robert Jauss and Peter Rabinowitz)?

I am not at all sure that the following would fit what you are looking for,
but have you seen Kjell Arne Morland, The Rhetoric of Curse in Galatians
(Scholars Press, 1995)? In it he uses semantic field analysis, speech act
theory, and reader perspectives as analytical tools. I also wonder if, from
a rhetorical theoretical perspective, Perelman's universal, elite, and
particular audiences don't fit into the notion of "authorial audience"?

Good hunting!
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu