corpus-paul - Thanks

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ian Rock <irock AT caribsurf.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Thanks
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:21:51 -0300

To all my brithers and sisters in Christ who sent kind congratulatory
messages on the occasion of my consecration and ordination to the order
of Deacon in the Anglican (Episcopal) Church on June 29, the Feast of
St. Peter and St. Paul. Special thanks to my MA Supervisor, Dr. Frank
Hughes at Codrington College here in Barbados. I will be posting some
thesis notes on the site soon and will be looking forward to your
of Paul in 1 & 2 Cor. I tend to see these opponents of Paul in light of
the tension with Peter. (Ironic that we celebrate their feast together,
when they did not see eye to eye.) I see a mission from Jerusalem
(Peter & Barnabas) which went sour, the fraction, but with Jerusalem
(super-apostles) sending out further missionaries, perhaps with the
intent of destablising Paul's efforts (therefore the Galatians
correspondence, and the resultant tensions we see in the Corinthian
Correspondence.) Paul recognises this and seeks conciliation (therefore
the collection). Perhaps too, Paul wants eventually to get as far away
from the problem as possible and start anew (Spain). Though simple, I
believe this theory reflects natural human reaction.

Anyway, this post was simply to say thanks to all of you. I hope and
pray that one day we could have a Paul seminar. I am certain that we
could host it right here at Codrington in Barbados. You guys would
enjoy our small but wonderful island. Ask Karl Donfried about his
visit. Anglican/Episcopalians could ask Prof. John Mbiti. Let me know
what you guys think on this. Frank and I could get this going.

In Christ
Ian Rock

  • Thanks, Ian Rock, 07/01/1999