corpus-paul - God, Maimonides, and Corpus Paulinum

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Patrick Nugent <nugenpa AT earlham.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: God, Maimonides, and Corpus Paulinum
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 08:07:56 -0500

Mike Myers wrote:

>This issue came up in the context of the Galatians 2:17 thread. The
>question couldn't be more central to an understanding of Paul's
>thought: Is God's revelation static? Is He static? Is the Law, or
>parts of it anyway, something destined to come to a conclusion in
>history, as Paul and the author of Hebrews claim? Or is it eternal,
>timeless, unchanging?
>
>How is this irrelevant?

It seemed to me that things were opening up for some comparative thinking.
I chafe at an NT-scholarly predilection one may often detect, which may be
framed in an oversimplified way as a predilection _for_ comparison with
anything whatsoever as long as it is remotely "Hellenistic" or
"apocalyptic" but against comparing biblical texts with one another or
with texts that stand in the same trajectories. It may be helpful for
getting at Paul's conception of God if we look first at other conceptions
of God, whether HB, Maimonides, Aristotle, or Plotinus (in order to help
clarify what we mean by "static" and by "revelation," for instance).

>But I do think that
>intellectual history has trajectories,

Precisely. And it is this sense that, from a distance, I miss in much NT
scholarship and was glad to see developing here.

Please, Mike and Liz, continue your discussion on-list: it has promise for
helping with Gal 2:17 -- and perhaps for thinking about the whole sweep of
Rom 1-11!
Patrick J. Nugent
Department of Religion
Earlham College
Richmond, Indiana 47374 USA

(765) 983-1413
nugenpa AT earlham.edu

  • God, Maimonides, and Corpus Paulinum, Patrick Nugent, 06/03/1999