corpus-paul - Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Licia Kuenning <Licia AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 09:25:00 -0400

Anders Eriksson writes,

> in the last few years I have met several people who
> plainly say that they do not like Paul. Some therefore
> stay out of Pauline studies. It is their modern opinion
> about him coulored by our modern context. Often these
> people are women who do not like the way Paul treats
> other people.

On other lists--and often off them, for that matter---I am
constantly running into people who "do not like Paul."
In most cases I think it has nothing to do with Paul, as
many of these people know next to nothing about him.
He has simply been elected scapegoat for everything
people dislike about their culture. What our culture would
be like if Paul had never existed--of course these people
don't know nor is it likely they ever ask the question.

Licia Kuenning
Editor, Quaker Heritage Press
Wife of Larry Kuenning

Licia AT compuserve.com