corpus-paul - Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals - additional comments

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals - additional comments
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 01:41:32 -0500

"Perry L. Stepp" wrote:

> From: Errol Smith & Colleen Loo <ERROL.COLLEEN AT bigpond.com>
>
> >Jack Kilmon wrote:
>
> >> Given that Tim I & II and Titus reflect church structures not in place
> >> till long after Paul's death...and used by Theophilus of Antioch,
> >> Irenaeus of Lyon, and the Muratorian list..I have always suspected
> >> Polycarp.
>
> Even if one doesn't date Acts until late first century or later, we need to
> note a
> couple of pertinent citations re. church structure.
>
> First, Clement of Rome (written between 90-100) seems to envision the same
> kind of church structure as the PE.
>
> Second, Clement 42 (mis?)quotes Isaiah 60.17 from the LXX that mentions
> "elders and deacons": most critics think Clement is merely "correcting" the
> passage (which in extant LXX witnesses reads ARCHONTAS KAI EPISKOPOUS
> instead of Clement's EPISKOPOUS KAI DIAKONOUS), but several have suggested a
> diferent LXX text (Hagner [tentative], Hatch), a targum (Danielou), etc.
>
> Thus it is unnecessary (and possibly somewhat anachronistic) to read the PE
> as if they reflect the fully developed authoritative hierarchy of Irenaeus.
> The church structure of the PE need not be placed any later than 90 at the
> latest.

Yes, this could be true but Paul died in 64 CE at a time
when these structures were still in formation. Additionally,
Paul had been under arrest and imprisoned in Caesarea around
mid 57 and sent to Rome in 60 CE. In 1 Timothy "Paul" speaks
of himself as free and traveling. The situation in 1 Tim cannot
fit into any of the time periods in Acts and Acts ends in 64.

Titus also was written while Paul was free, hence written
before 2 Tim.

Setting aside the obvious style, vocabulary and attitude as
non-Pauline, the only way the PE could be Pauline is if Paul
had been freed from Roman imprisonment and re-arrested and
executed in 67. If it were not for these obvious differences
in style, I would assign only a "maybe" to Pauline
authorship.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net