corpus-paul - Re: sick and broke

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: sick and broke
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:59:40 +0100

Rick Strelan wrote:
>Finally, how come Paul complains of hunger, thirst,illness, homelessness
>etc [1 Cor 4:11;these are not rhetorical complaints] - where were his
>supporters?

Interesting question. My guess is that the sufferings in 1 Cor 4:11 were
caused by persecution. In that case it might have been dangerous for
Paul's local companions to come to his aid because of the risk of
reprisals from his persecutors. Romans 16:3 tells us that Prisca and
Aquila risked their lives for Paul, and we know that they were with Paul at
the time of 1 Corinthians (1 Cor 16:19).

Further information can be gleaned from Philippians if an Ephesian
provenance is accepted.

Frank Hughes wrote:
>I think Paul is trying to shame the Corinthians into resuming their giving
to his collection for
>the relief of the Jerusalem church in 2 Cor 8.

Could you explain why you use the word 'resuming'? I can't see any
indications that the giving had stopped. Am I missing something?

Richard Fellows
Vancouver
rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca