corpus-paul - Re: Criteria for Comparing Writings

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Christopher Hutson <crhutson AT salisbury.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Criteria for Comparing Writings
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:37:36 EDT

>From: "J.E.Harding" <BSP97JEH AT sheffield.ac.uk>
>
>1 Cor and 2 Tim 'could' have been written by the same author. For
>example, the relationship Paul-Timothy-addressees in 1 Cor 4
>parallels Paul-Timothy-church in 1 Tim and especially 2 Tim 2:2.
>Indeed, although 1 Cor uses the language paradidomi/paradosis and 2
>Tim that of paratithemi/paratheke, 2 Tim 1:14 and 2:2, and 1 Cor
>11:2,23 and 15:1-3 offer the same model of a chain of transmission.

James, I realize this is changing the subject slightly from the point
you were making to Bob, but I would like to suggest that the
relationship Paul-Timothy-addressees in 1 Cor 4
DOES NOT parallel Paul-Timothy-church in 1 Tim and especially 2 Tim
2:2. An important difference is that 1 Cor is addressed to "the
church of God in Corinth," while the PE are addressed to individual
church leaders. Everybody recognizes this, but then everybody goes
right along and reads the PE *as if* they were addressed to the
churches in Ephesus and Crete. The PE are not "church order." They
are not addressed to churches. They are addressed to "youthful"
church leaders.

Furthermore, in 1 Cor 4 Paul sends Timothy to visit a church that Paul
and Timothy founded. This is direct contact between the first
generation and his followers; whereas 2 Tim 2:2 envisions the chain of
tradition moving on down to people whom "Paul" has never met--to at
least a fourth generation.

Pardon me for butting in, but you happen to have touched on a topic
about which I feel some proprietary interest. :-) You may now
return to the point you were making.

Regards,

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson