corpus-paul - RE: Justification By Faith

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Frank Glenn <fcg AT cvpc.edu.ph>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Justification By Faith
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:14:59 +0800

At 12:03 PM 3/29/99 -0600, Bill wrote:
(snip)
>Romans is marvelously systematic and I depend primarily on it here, though
>the rest of the Bible is consistent with Paul's doctrines presented here.

Eh, forgive my butting in, but you'll have a hard time convincing
Matthew (of the Gospel), James (of the Epistle), and a whole bunch of Hebrew
Bible authors and editors that they've suddenly been baptized as people who
but the generally bankrupt (IMO) theology of substitutionary atonement. I
thought this list was going to take Paul's writings and read them without
preconceived "theology".

>The "key" seems to be to understand that justification by faith is
>inextricably associated with the person and work of Christ because:
>
>* our justification by faith is predicated on Christ's sacrificial death
Suppose Paul was wrong. There sure isn't much of this in the
Synoptics or Johannine literature.

>* what we must believe is the record of God concerning His Son and His death
>and resurrection on our behalf

"Must" is a very onerous word.

>* we believe *into* grace and the person and work of Christ

So we also have a savior on a white horse or some kind of bank
account of grace or the harrowing of hell or the rest of it? Come on. I
don't want to violate the Netiquette and be offensive, but what we have here
is simply an attempt to preempt any discussion with asserting conclusions.
Frank