compostteas - [compostteas] Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: Gaden AT ziplip.com <Gaden AT ziplip.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [compostteas] Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

Forwarded on behalf of Gil Carandang

Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship Herbana Farms 6 Month
Residential Position

Herbana Farms (Philippines), a tropical diversified organic farm specializing
in the production of culinary and medicinal herbs, salad greens, Asian and
specialty vegetables, cut flowers, natural free-range chickens and tilapia
aquaculture is currently accepting applications for our 2004-2005 six-month
apprenticeship on our newly set-up 10-acre organic production and
demonstration farm. Our farm focuses on organic production for the local
farmers market and CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), and serving as a
training venue for organic farmers. Our sustainable agriculture practices
focus on Natural Farming technology using beneficial indigenous
microorganisms, enzymes and biological nutrients, including Indigenous
Knowledge, Biodynamics, French Intensive, Agroecology and Permaculture.

The farm is located on a 10-acre property with 4-acre dedicated to herb,
vegetable and flower gardens. The rest are intended for production modules
for natural free-range chickens, tilapia aquaculture and tropical fruit
orchard. Integrated to the farm is a Life Lab (organic educational garden
for kids), solar showers, spas and sauna, including the community farm center
where the kitchen and dining, restrooms, storage room and the farms
apprentices quarters are located. In the same area is our propagation,
greenhouse, hoof house, hardening area and plant nursery. There are four
separate greenhouses where we grow mainly vegetables as protected from the
rains. Our schedule for this farm apprenticeship is from November to April
which translates to a cooler to dry time of the year.

We are about 30 miles south of Manila. The farm is located on a slightly
rolling and hilly elevation near the old sugar central of Canlubang with
panoramic views of Tagaytay Ridge (a major Philippine tourist destination),
the famous Mt. Makiling and Laguna de Bay, Mt. Malarayat and Maculot of
Batangas province.

As part of the Apprenticeship program, we encourage apprentices to
participate on countryside tours and community immersions. Currently, we
are working on community immersion with indigenous peoples of the famous
rice terraces of northern Philippines. You will have the chance to spend
some time, living and working with the Ifugaos and Bontocs of the Mountain
Province. A local tour, two hours from the farm will bring the apprentices
to the island resort of Puerto Galera, Mindoro known for its 23 dive sites
scuba, snorkeling, including natural trekking and visit of the Mangyan
(indigenous people) village of the island

Who May Apply

Prior gardening and farming experience is helpful but not necessary. However,
a strong desire to learn and keen interest in hands-on gardening and farming
is essential. We are looking for self-motivated, self-starting people. The
Apprenticeship will involve all aspects of organic production including
propagation and greenhouse work, watering, bed prep, composting,
transplanting and sowing, weeding, harvesting and seed saving and processing,
including related functions in the care and maintenance of our small
livestock free-range chickens and tilapia aquaculture. Physical stamina is
necessary.

This is a wonderful opportunity to learn practical skills that will develop
for the use for the rest of your life!

Welcome to the tropical organic agriculture Apprenticehip at Herbana Farms!

For more information and application write or e-mail us:

Gil Carandang Herbana Farms Km. 59 Burol, Calamba City Laguna, Philippines

gil_carandang AT hotmail.com

  • [compostteas] Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship, Gaden, 06/30/2004