compostteas - [Compostteas] lots of little batches

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "John A. Perazzo" <jperazzo AT lvcm.com>
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] lots of little batches
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:05:39 -0700

Dear group,

I've been off-line for a week or so. Hard to keep caught up. Basically, I
been brewing a lot of 2 or 1 gallon batches to work on my recipe, timing,
etc. With my work schedule, I'm off Thursdays and Fridays, so as a home
gardener, that's when I brew. I'm getting faster at putting it all
together. It really doesn't take any time at all.

Cleaning is a regular part of the routine, though, now. I use a clorox (R)
solution and let the whole thing air dry a day at least. If somehow I don't
get back to the brew in time and it goes over, I through the whole lot out
into next year's compost pile and start over.

Had a hard time finding Kelp this month. I'm using worm castings from my
Can-O-Worm's first shelf (6 months old), molasses from the grocery supply
house, and the kelp (organic, liquid, Norweigan extract) from a local lumber
store I finally found.

At first, I used Carol Eddington's consentrations in a 2 gal batch, but it
seemed so weak there was no oder at all. Now I am at 6.4 ounces very moist
worm castings, 2 teaspoons molasses and 1 teaspoon kelp per gallon.

The temperature of the CT has been in the 80's because of our hot weather
(110ºF). Next batch I plan to move to the basement (74ºF) and see how that
works.

jp
home gardener

  • [Compostteas] lots of little batches, John A. Perazzo, 08/15/2002