compostteas - [Compostteas] Re: Compostteas digest, Vol 1 #90 - 11 msgs

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: m.norsen AT attbi.com
  • To: compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Scott AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu, Alexander AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Re: Compostteas digest, Vol 1 #90 - 11 msgs
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:18:30 +0000

Scott and all about DO2 meters Before the meter, happy,
but dumb? Yes the meter can ruin your family life until
you get it and brewer under control. Not having a meter
does not prevent anaerobic tea. Having a meter does not
prevent anaerobic tea. Having a meter and not having it
or the brew under conrol may destroy martial bliss.

None of this is news.

The meter- be ready to let the meter settle down before
you start to tweek it or use it. Dry and exposed to air
it takes 5 to 15 + minutes, seems like forever to settle
down when first turned on. Then calibrate. Then use. If
the probe stays static in CT for a few minutes bacteria
or fungi or crud builds up on the probe which then
returns a depressed O2 reading. Its gotta move rather
briskly in the CT to get a good reading. A reading of
3.0 static can raise to 5.+ with brisk movment.

You are probably ahead of me on this. I hope so.

The CT will go anaerobic in spite of all you can do if
you over load the nutrients. I think Carol Eddington
and others who have worked with CT have reported that
less is better.

Crowding a lot of tea base (compost) and nutrients will
look good during the early hour or so of a brew, but
when the bacteria begin to thrive and begin to reach the
numbers you want if there is still a lot of nutrition
left they will use O2 faster than typical brewers can
furnish it. Faster than water can absorb from LOTS of
aeration activity. At least I think that is what cause
a couple of my brews to go down in O2.

Finally there are many things about CT that I have yet
to learn so consider all of those and tell me if these
ideas helped. Jeffs "list" is a learning experience.

Regarding talking to your friend about CT, always mask
your true frustration with joy and optimism mixed with
great stuff and flowers you bring her, with evident
love, from your garden. Don't mention that CT did it.
Let her guess.