compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] Some info re EM in response to D

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Soil Foodweb, Inc." <info AT soilfoodweb.com>
  • To: "Compost tea List Serve" <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] Some info re EM in response to D
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:10:30 -0500

"I found Elaine's comment "The actinobacteria are really
hard on the
beneficial fungi." very interesting."

This goes back to whether you WANT fungi, or bacteria. If
you are growing brassica, kale, mustards, for example, you
don't really want mycorrhizal fungi in the system, so
actinobacteria are GREAT to have. They suppress the
mycorrhizal fungi, which those plants don't want or need
anyway. So, you get salespeople telling you about the
enormous benefits of Streptomyces. Under certain
conditions, they are right.

But if you are trying to grow tomato, potato, corn, wheat,
or other mycorrhizal requiring plants, having very many
actinobacteria, or actinomycetes, is not a good idea. They
are really not appropriate at all for perennial plants
what-so-ever.

We need to be clear on the effects of the different kinds of
things you are adding to your systems.
-----------
"Is it possible that by using compost tea that is not
properly balanced we
could do more harm than good in the long run to our
soilfoodweb."

An anerobic compost, or compost tea, CAN harm the biology in
your soil, or on your plant.

But if it is anaerobic, then it isn't compost or compost
tea. As long as we all agree to that minimum definition,
we'll have an easier time talking about compost and compost
tea.

So, if it is aerobic, and you put a strongly bacterial tea
into a highly fungal soil, can you do harm? You're going to
knoock some things for a loop, that's for certain. You
could put disease suppression on hold for awhile while the
organisms sort things out again.

Ah, but your plant is in control, ultimately. Why do I say
that? Because the plant is putting out foods to feed the
proper organisms 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 12
months a year, etc. So, IF YOU HAVE A HEALTHY FOODWEB, then
addition of a tea or compos tthat isn't well-matched won't
mess things up too bad.

It's when you are in the process of moving things in the
right direction, messing up on foodweb structure can slow
things down.

But as long as the material is aerobic, you won't destroy
anything. OK? A really healthy soil or healthy foodweb on
your leaf surfaces, will prevent the impact of putting
something harmful out there.

"From what Elaine said it sounds like people using EM could
suffer from a
serious lack of beneficial fungi in the future."

The lack of beneficial fungi is already there, or you
wouldn't be using t he EM to begin. So, the EM can get you
started, but you can't use it to the exclusion of any other
foods, or organisms. But I don't think EM people say you
should only and always just use their product. Let's not
make the EM folks out to be exclusive! Their product is
excellent as a first step in many, many situations. First
step in a twelve step program, ok?

"Could CT's cause similar problems? If we don't have a
balanced mix in the
tea or if the mix of organisms is thrown out of whack by
filters and spray
equipment."

Anything is possible, but a modicum of attention would
prevent these problems.

"I look a the N-P-K situation. When people first started
focusing on those
Nutrients they were having great results. Now, so many
years later that
trip has turned into a nightmare."

And we can't get mindless about CT. You have to be
thinking, all the time. If you don't want to do the
thinking, then hire someone who will do it right. I go out
to eat all the time, because I don't have the time to cook
the foods I like to eat. I hire someone to take the time to
cook the way I like. Do the same thing for your lawn, or
your orchard, or your strawberry field.......

"I get nervous messing to much with mama nature and trying
to do too much
adding or subtracting."

Which is why you use locally made compost, so it has the
local set of organisms. Ask about the compost - correct
starting materials for bacterial or fungal compost? Add the
food resources that should push bacteria or fungi, as you
think you need for your plants. Just remember that lots of
disturbance, lots of toxic chemcials have killed fungi more
than bacteria. If you are in that situation, even though
you have bacterial plants, you may still need fungal foods.

"I'm a big fan of the idea of compost tea and plan on using
it but at the
same time I'm a little nervous....."

Yes, good to be thinking. But the plant is in control.....

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

  • Re: [Compostteas] Some info re EM in response to D, Soil Foodweb, Inc., 06/04/2002