compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] spraying pressure ?

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Frank Teuton" <fteuton AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <laura_s AT vaxxine.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] spraying pressure ?
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:08:27 -0400

Hi Laura,

As I understand Elaine's views on this, it ain't the sprayer pressure as
much as it is the velocity/momentum that the critters hit the leaf with:

"SPRAYER PRESSURES

Some of the newer sprayers have really high pressures - if I remember
correctly, one has 300 pounds of pressure per square inch on the water being
sprayed. This does not kill the organisms in the tea, but when they hit your
leaf surface at 300 pounds of pressure per square inch, there isn't much
left of the organism except slime, which is just food for someone else,
unfortunately, perhaps the pathogen that just blew in....."---Elaine Ingham
in her e-zine

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/ezinearchives/issue8.txt

Reading through the back issues of the e-zine is quite useful, eh?

My educated guess is that if the organism survives the trip from brewer to
spray nozzle release OK, and you aren't damaging your leaves from the
sprayer, the little critters will likely be OK.

So, when I collect my sprayer samples I will be sure to spray at a kind
distance above the tub I will use, so that my good guys aren't going splat
on the tub wall, a problem you might have with spraying out of a nozzle
right into a collection jar at close range, I imagine.

But since these air blast sprayers make a mist that is not destructive to
leaves, I doubt that you will have 'crobe killing effects going on.

If I am wrong, someone else will doubtless say so.

Frank Teuton