compostteas - [Compostteas] A simple, home made system/aeration source

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff AT gardener.com>
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] A simple, home made system/aeration source
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 22:00:52 -0700

Hi folks. Administrator Jeff, here. I thought you might like to know there
72 members on this list. That is pretty amazing given that this is all word
of mouth----Well, a mention in Dr. Elaine's Ezine didn't hurt.

In the spirit of sharing and in return getting you to share tricks of the
trade, and that, part, is what this listserve is all about), here is a
great source of flexible air tubing and the shortest directions in the world
for making a 30 gallon home system.

The tubing comes in several lengths and you can easily attach more than one.
Bubble size is fantastic and it works at depth. I have two 24 inchers coiled
at the bottom of a 30 gallon garbage pail and when filled, the water really
boils with bubbles. That is four feet deep. The stuff really is flexible and
can be reworked as much as you like. (good for those "non circular
tanks"---though the science says stick with round tanks). It comes in
several sizes, seems to be quite durable and is pretty cheap. Service from
these folks is fantastic:
http://petdiscounters.com/aquarium/air/airstones/wb_rubber.html

The system is a 1/3 hp compressor (I noticed Frank's site, Aquatic
Ecosystems www.aquaticeco.com has a nice one if you can't find a used one),
two lengths of 36inch air hose and, aquarium tubing, a plastic ""T" so you
can put air into both ends of the flexible tubing, appropriate and necessary
clamps and a new, round, plastic garbage pail of any size you desire and
you are in business.

What do you use? Where do you get your supplies. If we are smart about this
we can save ourselves some money as we learn. I am sick and tired of buy
Comfrey from Roy's Health Food Store and bet you wouldn't mind some new
sources either.

All the while, there are a few experts watching over us. If we "chat" "out
loud" about what we are doing or hearing, we are going to end up with some
good lessons, great insights and some new science. Don't be shy.

Jeff L

PLANT A ROW FOR THE HUNGRY: Through PAR, over 3 million pounds of food have
been donated by home gardeners like you to feed the hungry. Ask me how you
can join the effort.