commons-research - [Commons-research] CC and gender issues

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Giorgos Cheliotis <giorgos AT smu.edu.sg>
  • To: commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Commons-research] CC and gender issues
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:44:28 +0800

I recently sent this to cc-community but I wonder whether someone here on commons-research knows the answer...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Giorgos Cheliotis <giorgos AT smu.edu.sg>
Date: May 30, 2008 1:03:05 PM SST
Subject: [cc-community] CC and gender issues

I just started thinking about gender and CC today, here is why:

Mike Linksvayer just sent on CCi an email about the ccMixter music remixing community, linking to: http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/8323

In that user survey of the CC-based remixing community only 4.3% of respondents entered "female" under gender!

This may be attributable to several factors, but it made me think: could it be that...
(a) remixing, or
(b) use of CC licenses in general, or
(c) participatory media in general
is more of a male thing?

Anyone here aware of studies on the role (if any) of gender in online social networks, peer production, etc.? It's not my field, but I'd be curious to know...

Giorgos

Note: This address will become inactive by the end of June. Please contact me at my private address instead:
GCHELIOTIS AT GMAIL

Giorgos Cheliotis
Visiting Assistant Professor
School of Information Systems