commons-research - Re: [Commons-research] Call for Papers: First InterdisciplinaryResearch Workshop on Free Culture

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Giorgos Cheliotis" <giorgos AT smu.edu.sg>
  • To: <commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Commons-research] Call for Papers: First InterdisciplinaryResearch Workshop on Free Culture
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:28:54 +0800

Thanks to Mike and Heather for the kind words and for some over the top
superlatives :)

I truly hope that the research workshop will be one of the stars of the
summit. For that we need good submissions!

My motivation for helping out with this stems from my desire to understand
free culture/participatory media/remixing/open licensing from multiple
angles. Out of this hopefully a broader research agenda will emerge, one that
extends well beyond law and well beyond other specific communities. Then I
would also hope that those of us who are very focused on specific elements of
this Free Culture will be given fresh ideas by the presentations of other
researches at the workshop, while some of us will also attempt to synthesize
elements from different presentations in order to produce more general
theories and a better understanding of the changes that we both witness and
cause through our involvement in CC, F/L/OSS and related areas.

The demo/speed-geeking session(s) will then add extra flair to the event as
they will be a chance for people to showcase just about anything that is
innovative and relevant to the themes of the workshop, with no constraints on
format or content (the team we have set up for this purpose will have the
final say on how to organize this). Finally, a very desirable side-effect of
the workshop will be that we will have a chance to have a good
meta-discussion on the value of open vs. closed peer reviews, open access,
etc. Some of these topics may be covered in other iSummit 'Labs', but as long
as we keep our focus on research and innovation-related themes we shouldn't
have much overlap.

My great thanks to Heather and the rest of the iCommons team as well as to
Mike and the rest of CC for being quick to embrace the idea of a research
workshop. Also of course let's thank Jonathan Zittrain and Tyng-Ruey Chuang
for their willingness to co-chair the workshop. Now it is up to each and
every one of us to help make sure that we get lots of good submissions by
April 26 :)

G.