chtechcomm - [Chtechcomm] Email Use and Public Records Law

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: Terri Buckner <tbuckner AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Chapel Hill Information Technology Advisory Committee <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Gregg Gerdau <ggerdau AT intelor.com>
  • Subject: [Chtechcomm] Email Use and Public Records Law
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:02:04 -0400

Martha Hoylman wrote:

Here are the posts that were generated by my questions to NCLGISA. The consensus seems to be that, regardless of the email address, most communications with elected officials should be considered public record law and should be maintained and retained as such. (There are a number of exceptions to the public record law as well as some nuances as to how long to retain the records dependent on long-term usefulness.)
This presents a significant challenge - there is a general feeling on the discussion board that most elected officials (and perhaps some government employees) don't understand what the public records law is all about and what it means to them and how it changes their work practices. Some counties ask that their public officials use county email for county business, but that's difficult to enforce. Some ask that their public officials cc the clerk of the board with any correspondence and allow that individual to maintain the records. Again, difficult to enforce.
Same goes for the public meetings law - the town council probably is well-versed in the law (having been bitten in the past and having attorney support available at all times), but most advisory boards, task forces and work groups probably are not. Some training is probably in order.
I don't know what, if anything, the tech committee can do about these issues. At the very least, we can educate ourselves. But, aside from that, I'm not sure.
Please send this on to the other committee members. When I get the April 2004 posts from Herman Schmidt, I'll pass those along as well.
Martha
Martha A. Hoylman
Business Analyst/Project Manager
Orange County Government
208 S. Cameron Street
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Office: (919) 245-2287
Cell: (919) 949-3958
mhoylman AT co.orange.nc.us <mailto:mhoylman AT co.orange.nc.us>

RE:[nclgisa] Email Use and Public Records Law