chtechcomm - Re: [Chtechcomm] Unsubscribe

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: Terri Buckner <tbuckner AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Chapel Hill Information Technology Advisory Committee <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chtechcomm] Unsubscribe
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:22:42 -0400

Dear Group,

I have a booklet written by David Lawrence and published by the Institute of Government in 2002 on Open Meetings in North Carolina. In the author's opinion, conference calls and electronic meetings are legal as long as they are available to the public. If conference calls are legal, then email should be also as long as this list is available to anyone who wants to subscribe. Let's not be too hasty in unsubscribing or banning use of this list until we have done a little more research. We also need to get the manager's definition of 'substantive.' (Thank you Aris for that request.)

The impact of discontinuing use of email for all future group communications is to limit access, an outcome that is counter to the intent of the open meetings law. Experience in the e-democracy world is that more people participate electronically than they do in face to face meetings. I hope we can take this opportunity to educate staff and council on how the use of electronic communications will expand citizen access to governmental communications rather further restricting it.

Gregg, Your intelor address has been unsubscribed. You are still subscribed under your other domain. If you want that unsubscribed also, which will remove you as an administrator of this list, please let me know.

Terri

ggerdau AT intelor.com wrote:

Terri,

Please unsubscribe me from this list. Based on the Manager's comments at
last night's meeting, we must not use the list serv for group discussions.
We will work to find the appropriate policy for electronic communication
that satisifes the sprit and meaning of the Manager's instructions. Until
then:

All,

Please e-mail me directly (without CC'ing anyone but yourself) with any
specific concerns or suggestions you may have with regard to any matter or
open topics from last night's agenda.

Gregg