chtechcomm - Re: [Chtechcomm] Council Motion Tonight

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: Terri Buckner <tbuckner AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Chapel Hill Information Technology Advisory Committee <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: windsorcircle <windsorcircle AT mindspring.com>, edithwiggins AT nc.rr.com, Sally Greene <sally AT sallygreene.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chtechcomm] Council Motion Tonight
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:36:40 -0400

IT Members,

The school system already makes internet appliances (free) and low cost ISP access available to all students. They have devoted a great deal of effort into ensuring that all students have equal access--that was their basis for implementing a Citrix network. They would need to agree to install Citrix (and maintain) on any 'free' computers in order for students to use them for schoolwork. Then there's the wireless card issue. We need to make sure Doug Noell is going to be present before we schedule this as an agenda item.

There are also significant barriers involved in re-distributing state-owned computers. The town (and the university) cannot give computers purchased with tax dollars to any individual or non-government entity. I've been trying to figure out how to transfer 5 of the Town's surplus computers to a teen center in Carrboro and am not having much luck. The town can only give them to another town approved agency, such as Empowerment or the Friends of Parks and Rec, who can then distribute them. I've contacted a couple of other agencies before I learned about these two and they agreed to be the conduit, but required that their own groups had first choice ahead of the teen center. I suggest we invite Delores Bailey in for this discussion also.

As for the wireless network, the Downtown Economic Development Corporation is in the final stages of hiring a new executive director. Setting up a downtown wireless network will be one of the earliest priorities for that individual. According to their preliminary plans, part of Northside would be included in the downtown range. That individual and Andrea Rohrbacher should also be included in the discussion.

It's kind of a drag when something so simple turns into such a pain, isn't it? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I'm not sure whether its so complicated to give computers away because its such a new idea or whether it will continue to be problematic every year.

Terri

Gregg Gerdau wrote:

On tonight's (June 15th) Council Business Meeting Agenda, Item 15(a)2 was a recommendation from Council Members Wiggins and Greene to act on a citizen’s recommendation to create a wireless Internet access environment in the Northside neighborhood and make old computers available for use by persons who otherwise would not have access to computers and the Internet. “We believe this idea merits further consideration and could be of value in both the Northside and Pine Knolls neighborhoods.” wrote the Council Members.

The discussion was brief, but Mayor Foy said “it’s a good idea” and made a motion to refer it to the Manager for a follow-up report. Council Member JIM WARD stepped in and said “and the Technology Committee?” and Mayor Foy said “yes, and the Technology Committee”. The motion passed unanimously.

This links to the whole document: http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/ca050615/15a(2)-petition_to_consider_establishing_wireless_internet_access_in_the_northside_and_pine_knolls_neighborhoods_and_program_for_use_of_old_computers.htm

Thank you, JIM WARD!

Bob Avery - we must include this on the June 21st TC Agenda being published tomorrow...I will send over an amended draft.

With best regards,
Gregg
Gregg Gerdau
Chair
Chapel Hill Technology Committee
mobile 919-593-0037
office 650-302-3500
home 919-932-5202
e-fax 650-618-1578
gregg AT gdgerdau.com <mailto:gregg AT gdgerdau.com>