ch-scene - Re: No Hard Feelings

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Joseph Churpek <joseph.churpek AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: No Hard Feelings
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:52:50 -0400

I like this conversation and I see your point, "what does that say about the
value of a CD when it is free?"

My answer.... "the truth."

Remember when you used to hear all the time, "man, my car got broken into
and they stole all my cd's." That problem dropped off the earth half a
decade ago. The average listener is not a physical copy fetishist, and the
listeners who are probably prefer wax. For most people now, CD's are the
packaging you take home to rip your new mp3's from. (So why not just give
out download codes? Because people are lazy... that's another topic).

The truth is, unless you're the Beatles and aren't worried about making new
fans, the value of the CD is all on YOUR end. It's not valuable anymore for
a listener to own your cd when they don't collect cd's anymore. You just
need to get your music in their hands, period. Charging for a CD is now like
asking a girl on a date and following up her "yes" with "ok, that'll be 10
bucks."

But I really like your response, and it has pushed me to think even further
about how to make that disc valuable for them. I say personalize it. If
you're giving it out a show, ask their name, write a thank you note on it.
(I'm not saying Autograph it, Bono). I'm saying to make it valuable by
giving it sentimental value that will tie back to a place in time for
them... "we" may not be CD collectors anymore, but every tourist town is
still full of magnets, snow globes and other kitsch. We like to make our
experiences real by having a physical token to prove it. Just a thought... a
weird one? Yah... but we (musicians) need to be thinking out of the box
because the entire music economy changed overnight. Ok choir, sermon over...