ch-scene - BSC/Durham - FREE LIVE MUSIC ALL WEEK

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: BSC/Durham - FREE LIVE MUSIC ALL WEEK
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 05:00:47 -0800 (PST)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

Most of our events are FREE events. If you find yourself at the Cafe
enjoying a show, please show your support and appreciation by=E2=80=A6
Purchasing Food =E2=80=A2 Purchasing Beverages =E2=80=A2 Tipping Your Serve=
rs
Your support of The Broad Street Caf=C3=A9 will allow us to continue to
support local music to keep most events free.

And if you're the social media kinda person... we would love it if you
would follow us on foursquare:
http://foursquare.com/venue/178506

---EVENTS---
Wednesday, February 2
=E2=80=A2 8P Continuum Blues Jam

Thursday, February 3
=E2=80=A2 8P Gentle Robot (rock)
=E2=80=A2 10P Lockdown Blues Band (blues/r&b/soul)

Friday, February 4
=E2=80=A2 8P Irish Wolfhounds (celtic/folk)
=E2=80=A2 10P My Three Kilts (celtic traditional/punk)

Saturday, February 5
=E2=80=A2 8P Sean Thomas Gerard (americana)
=E2=80=A2 10 Fujiyama Roll (rock/j-pop/j-rock)
=E2=80=A2 11P llbotz (hip hop/acoustic/comedy)
=E2=80=A2 12A Joy in Red (rock/indy/alt country)

Sunday, February 6
=E2=80=A2 4:30P BSC Kids! Music Explorium
=E2=80=A2 7:30 Sunday Night Jazz Series featuring Bill Stevens Trio

---DETAILS---

=E2=80=A2 8P Continuum Blues Jam- Come out to the Blues Jam every other
Wednesday sponsored by Continuum Consulting Services. Butch Haas will
be facilitating this free-to-the-public jam. So bring your gear, sign
up for a time, and jam with some of Durham=E2=80=99s finest! Drums, keyboar=
d,
bass, guitar and harp amps provided.

Thursday, February 3

=E2=80=A2 8P Gentle Robot (rock)
Gentle Robot is a rock band based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. One
five song EP, Error Connecting, and one album, Dwarf Galaxies, have
been released to date.
Tim Sookram, guitar, vocals; Lee Rogers - bass, vocals; Desmond Mullen
- drums

=E2=80=A2 10P Lockdown Blues Band (blues/r&b/soul)
Lockdown is a high-energy blues/soul band that has been heating up the
stage for several years now. Hailing from Raleigh-Durham, NC this
group has toured the southeast playing festivals and other venues, and
is always a crowd pleaser. The strong vocals and mud harp of Tim
"Fatback" Taylor combine with the growling guitars, pumping rhythm
section, and the "Jail-break horn-line" to create an energy and sound
like no other. This group has been gaining popularity since forming in
2008, and loves to entertain and interact with the crowd. Be prepared
for a great time with Lockdown!

Friday, February 4

=E2=80=A2 8P Irish Wolfhounds (celtic/folk)
The Irish Wolfhounds play a fun filled mix of Irish and Scottish
music. Dance tunes and ballads flow freely through out the night as
the hounds pursue an evening of good fun and craic for all.
Our Story: James and Bruce met down at Horniblows, a local Tavern in
Raleigh, NC, at the Monday night open jam. Bruce and James almost
immediately began collaborating going equally between Irish, Scottish,
Rock and Roll and Blues.
Along the way, James started playing down at the Tir Na Nog Irish
session, and met Allen there. The two hit it off immediately, both
enjoying the great craic found in playing together. Many a time they
found themselves starting to play in the afternoon, and not stopping
till late into the night.
At some point the three combined forces, and the Irish Wolfhounds were
born.

=E2=80=A2 10P My Three Kilts (celtic traditional/punk)
My Three Kilts is a three-piece Celtic band of miscreants that play a
blend of traditional and modern Celtic songs. This aint your grandpa=E2=80=
=99s
Celtic music though. They have as much in common with the Ramones as
they do the Dubliners. While they play traditional Irish and Scottish
songs, their mentality is firmly rooted in the attitude, speed, and
ideals of punk. Their shows are punctuated by blasts of songs and
engagements with the
audience. They aren=E2=80=99t afraid to bring the show to a stop to involve
the audience, bartenders, or people passing by on the street. You will
have fun at their shows, you will sing along, you will clap along, you
will laugh, you may even be called upon to play an instrument, or at
least an air bag pipe.
The band formed in June of 2007 as a clever ruse to get their hands on
more beer. The band has been building a faithful following from
Wilmington, NC to Ashville, NC at places like The Flying Shamrock, Tir
Na Nog, Flanagan=E2=80=99s, Connolly=E2=80=99s Irish Pub, Duck and Dive, an=
d Jack of
the Wood. The band was also honored to take part in the 20th and 21st
Annual Beaufort Music Festival where they shared the stage with
Southern Culture on The Skids and Richie Havens. In October 2008 and
May 2010, they opened for Scotland=E2=80=99s Albannach. In August of 2009, =
the
band took part in the Charlotte Irish Summer festival. This festival
included such Celtic music stalwarts such as The Prodigals, and Dublin
City Ramblers. My Three Kilts have also played at the inaugural Wake
Forest Irish Festival in September 2009 and the Emerald Isle St.
Patrick=E2=80=99s Festival in 2010.

Saturday, February 5
=E2=80=A2 8P Sean Thomas Gerard (americana)
Sean is the front man for Onward, Soldiers.

=E2=80=A2 10 Fujiyama Roll (rock/j-pop/j-rock)
=E2=80=9CFUJIYAMA ROLL=E2=80=9D is a Japanese Rock&Roll (called Ro-Ken Roll=
) band
playing locally around=E3=80=80Durham&Chapel Hill, NC. All the members are
from Japan and belong to a Japanese Music Group =E2=80=9CNC-RTP-ROCK=E2=80=
=9D which
has been active since 2005. We arrange and play not only our original
songs but also Japanese songs from 70's-90's (they're called =E2=80=9CJ-ROC=
and J-POP=E2=80=9D) , they sound like a mixture of 60's-80's American Rock =
and
Japanese traditional songs. We are proudly introducing the J-Rock & J-
Pop to NC people with a Japanese flavor and we're sure that you'll
love them!!

=E2=80=A2 11P llbotz (hip hop/acoustic/comedy)
Illbotz are a comedy/ hip-hop/ acoustic group who have been making
music, touring, and telling terrible jokes since 2004. We've released
4 albums including our newest "All Bot And A Bag Of Chipz: The Best Of
Illbotz," which is available for download in our ReverbNation store!
We've shared the stage with Young Sinclairs, Eternal Summers, Juan
Huevos, Hammer No More The Fingers, Bastards of Fate, White Cross
(including members of GWAR), Dynamite Club, The Wading Girl, etc. We
also get out the shell toes and perform as Run-DMC from time to time.
Love us!

=E2=80=A2 12A Joy in Red (rock/indy/alt country)
Joy In Red came together one summer night on an East Durham porch with
the meeting of banjo and guitar. The realization came that, =E2=80=9Cwe rea=
lly
need to put some drums behind this=E2=80=9D. It was a creation never meant =
aspire beyond the celebration of friends shaking the days dust, the
gathering of intentions, dreams, aspirations, where like minds shed
their frustrations and openly express their convictions, those
conversations meant for kind ears and guarded from outside toils.
We are Matthew of the dark folk duo Sequoya, Rob Beloved of the rebel
rooted pop punk duo Beloved Binge and Mike Wright of Seattle=E2=80=99s prog
rock Byproduct and German alternative indie rock band Cairo. Joy In
Red is the jubilant riot we hope to incite, those things said among
friends that should be shared with all we meet and care to know. We
could hope for no better reaction than: should I dance, fight or stand
my ground and raise my hands to rejoice in a community that each day
expands a step further than the front porch ever intended.

Sunday, February 6
=E2=80=A2 4:30P BSC Kids!
It's FUN and it's FREE! (tips are greatly appreciated)
Come to the Broad Street Cafe on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month
(October thru March) and enjoy some great entertainment that's
designed for kids but that's guaranteed to be fun for all ages. The
kitchen will be open and serving up tasty fare.. so bring your
appetite.
Music Explorium (www.musicexplorium.com) is a community experience
where enough drums and percussion are brought for everyone to play.
The Explorium includes puppetry, stories, and hands on drumming fun
for the whole family.

=E2=80=A2 7:30 Sunday Night Jazz Series
Bill Stevens Trio
A featured artist on The Walden School 2010 Concert Series, Bill is an
active jazz pianist in the North Carolina area, where he leads bands
with drummer Eric Mrozkowski and trombonist Weldon Kollock. Bill was
the house pianist at The Know Bookstore and Restaurant in Durham NC
from April 2008 through March 2010. Since December of 2008, the Bill
Stevens Jazz Ensemble has been collaborating with artist Mike Stevens,
exploring the synergy of combining improvised music with live
painting. "In today's world, where recordings and the Internet have
made outstanding music commonplace, we seek to invite listeners into a
kind of experience they could only have with live improvisation. We do
this by emphasizing spontaneous interaction amongst performers and
cultivating deep emotional attunement with the listening audience."
Some added fun... Artist Mike Stevens will be painting while the music
plays.
Mike began painting when he was in high school. The son of a visual
artist, Mike was drawn to the arts early on. Mike=E2=80=99s path after hig=
school took him in other directions, but Mike returned to painting
seriously about three years ago.

In December of 2008, Mike began collaborating regularly with The Bill
Stevens Trio during their live jazz performances in and around North
Carolina=E2=80=99s research triangle. During these performances, Mike pain=
ts
landscape images live onstage during the group=E2=80=99s set. This
exploration of the synergy between improvised music and live painting
has become an audience favorite.

"In today's world, where recordings and the Internet have made
outstanding music commonplace, we seek to invite listeners into a kind
of experience they could only have with live improvisation. We do
this by emphasizing spontaneous interaction amongst performers,
cultivating deep emotional attunement with the listening audience, and
performing with a painter; you can't get that at home!"

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

  • BSC/Durham - FREE LIVE MUSIC ALL WEEK, BSC, 02/01/2011