ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 13, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 13, 2011
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:53:02 -0500

Thursday, January 13
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
The Bastages (http://www.reverbnation.com/thebastages)
The Pinkerton Raid
The Casbah, Durham

I love the Wigg Report with a love that is undying, and inextricably linked to my love for Durham. I'm told the weeknight shows start pretty early at the Casbah (and it's a lovely club), so you more than likely have no excuse for missing this.

Thursday, January 13
Mandolin Orange (http://www.myspace.com/mandolinorange)
Abigail Washburn (http://www.abigailwashburn.com/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Thursday, January 13
Ami Dang (http://www.myspace.com/amritakd)
Phantascist
Brainbows (http://myspace.com/wearebrainbows)
Art Department
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 13
Skylar (http://www.myspace.com/skylargudasz)
Only Thieves (http://www.myspace.com/onlythievesfla)
Supreme Fiction (http://www.myspace.com/supremefiction)
The Pinhook, Durham

Thursday, January 13
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
The Beggars (http://www.myspace.com/thebeggars)
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, January 14
Mangum & Company Shout Band
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

The Mangum & Company Shout Band are from the United House of Prayer for All People in Charlotte. I haven't seen them, but I have seen the Bailey Elites from Durham's United House of Prayer for All People, and they were awesome.

Friday, January 14
Mark Holland's Rhythm Force (http://www.myspace.com/mhollandsrhythmforce)
Humble Tripe (http://www.myspace.com/shawnluby)
Billy Sugarfix's Carousel (http://www.reverbnation.com/billysugarfix)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Carousel is Billy Sugarfix's refined chamber-pop experience. Mark Holland was (and is again) in Jennyanykind, and Jule Brown.

Friday, January 14
The Venables (http://www.myspace.com/thevenables)
Static Minds
Grant Hart (http://www.granthart.com)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Grant Hart was in Husker Du. Quick primer: Grant wrote "Don't Want to Know if You Are Lonely," "Every Everything" & "The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill," whereas Bob Mould wrote "Makes No Sense At All," "Hate Paper Doll" & "I Don't Know For Sure."

Friday, January 14
The Big Picture
White Laces (http://whitelacesmusic.com/)
Sundials (http://sundialsva.com/)
2702 Lawndale, Durham

The Big Picture are a new-ish band with some members of The Never, Annuals + Lost in the Trees. The other two bands are from Richmond.

Friday, January 14
The Tender Fruit (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
Rayland Baxter (http://www.myspace.com/raylandbaxtermusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Tender Fruit released one of my top-10 albums of 2010, "Flotsam & Krill." Thus far it's an internet-only release, and you can get a copy here. Christy Smith's voice is one of those elemental forces that trigger the same goosebumps on the 100th listen as they did on the first.

Friday, January 14
Jim Smith & His Tall Buildings
Titanium Rex (http://jackwenberg.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 14
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Strange Faces (http://www.myspace.com/strangefacestheband)
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, January 14
Make (http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake)
Sinister Moustache
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Make are members of the class of 2010, wigged-out epic Space Metal division.

Saturday, January 15
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
The Cellar Seas (http://www.myspace.com/thecellarseas)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

There is a top-secret opening band for this show, and the general gist of the rumors is that it's _______________, whom I haven't seen in the better part of a decade.

Saturday, January 15
Felix Obelix (http://www.myspace.com/felixobelix)
Joy in Red (http://www.facebook.com/joyinred)
Amor De Cosmos
The Pinhook, Durham

This is actually going to be the solo Wendy-plus-backing-tape version of Felix Obelix. Amor De Cosmos is some kind of crazy newish thing with Jay Cartwright (ex-Eyes to Space, ex-Lemming Malloy) & at least one Wuss.

Saturday, January 15
Boat Burning (http://www.myspace.com/boatburning)
Where the Buffalo Roamed (http://www.myspace.com/wherethebuffaloroamed)
Joe Hendrix (http://www.myspace.com/thehendrixexperiment)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 15
The Ettes (http://www.myspace.com/theettes)
The Dex Romweber Duo (http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artist/dex-romweber-duo)
The 1-10's (http://theonethroughtens.com/)
Redheaded Stepchildren
Pour House, Raleigh

This is the scaled down remnant of what was originally billed as "Unholy Night in the Vault," which was to be a two-night affair and feature, in addition to these bands, the Detroit Cobras, Dan Sartain & the Reigning Sound, among others. It was also gonna cost like a hundred bucks.

Now it's one night, the cover's like $10, and you can still drive to Chapel Hill on Sunday to catch the Reigning Sound & Last Year's Men. Win!

Saturday, January 15
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Biggy Stardust & His Wretched Hive
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Saturday, January 15
Pipe (http://www.mrg2000.com/merge/bio.html?id=pipe)
Bustello (http://www.myspace.com/bustellomusic)
The Bastages (http://www.reverbnation.com/thebastages)
Kings, Raleigh

Last time I saw Pipe they were playing outdoors on a loading dock in a raging snowstorm. OK, at least a fairly intense flurry. I could probably make any number of statements here about the total number of years of musical experience spread between these three bands (quick mental arithmetic: somewhere north of 200), but the fact of the matter is that they're all three just great bands, and (thanks to the cyclical nature of indierock) with eyes closed you'd have little notion of their ages.

Saturday, January 15
The Toddlers (http://www.myspace.com/thetoddlersmusic)
Fantastico
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 15
Widow
Hell Razor (http://www.myspace.com/hellrazornc)
Corpse War (http://www.myspace.com/edwardteachmetal)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 15
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
The Hell No (http://www.reverbnation.com/thehellno)
Saints & Sinners
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, January 16
The Jackets (http://www.reverbnation.com/TheJackets)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is a 2pm open practice session to kick off a residency by the Jackets at MotorCo. They'll do some practices, play some shows, and try anything else that suits their fancy over the course of the next couple of weeks.

Sunday, January 16
Lurch
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Lurch are part of the latest/greatest wave of Durham metal, and though they've begun to get irritated when people say it, it's impossible to ignore the fact that some of them used to play in the amazing Durham metal band Tooth.

This set is by way of doing a little bit of advance promo work for next weekend's Death to False Hope Records anniversary festival, by the way, so if you like what you hear, you'll know where to catch them next. 4pm at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, January 16
The Mercators (http://www.myspace.com/themercators)
Slurpeee
Parasite Drag
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, January 16
Reigning Sound (http://www.reigningsound.com/)
Last Year's Men (http://www.myspace.com/lastyearsmenband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Last Year's Men were my favorite new live band of 2010 (and they also released an album, Sunny Down Snuff, that hit a whole lot of folks' top-10 lists, mine included).

The Reigning Sound come from that Memphis garage-soul axis but have been an Asheville band for the past few years. Not that you'd know it, because they get over to the Triangle about as rarely as they did when they all lived in Memphis. Meaning skip this at your own risk.

Sunday, January 16
Hank Sinatra (http://www.hank-sinatra.com/)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Jesse Malin & the St. Mark's Social (http://www.myspace.com/jessemalin)
Kings, Raleigh

Jesse Malin & Ricky Bacchus were in the 90s NYC punk-n-roll band D Generation together, so this is a reunion of sorts.

Sunday, January 16
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
The Beggars (http://www.myspace.com/thebeggars)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, January 18
River City Extension (http://www.myspace.com/rivercityextension)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 18
Humble Tripe (http://www.myspace.com/shawnluby)
Chris Pureka (http://www.myspace.com/chrispureka)
Nicole Reynolds (http://www.myspace.com/nicolereynoldsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of January 13, 2011, Ross Grady, 01/12/2011