ch-scene - Durham house show on sunday! plus a show tonight (wed.)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Craig Powell <craigpowell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Durham house show on sunday! plus a show tonight (wed.)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:38:53 -0400

hey folks,

it's almost time for another special Sunday edition of the summertime house
show series here at the Layabout... this time with two rad outtatown bands
and one band of local badasses!!

PINK FLAG are "a regular three girl rhumba dancing on the common ground of a
love of early post-punk, riot grrl and top 40 of the 1990s." they also saved
the day the last time they played the Layabout by filling in for a band who
dropped... off the bill last-minute...and then proceeding to blow minds with
an AMAZING headlining set! MY HEROES! http://myspace.com/pinkflagnc

EUX AUTRES (San Francisco) are stopping through NC (for the first time!) on
their way home from the Athens Popfest. They play Yé-yé influenced
garage-pop with boy/girl vocals...plussss they've got an ex-member of The
Aislers Set (one of my all-time favorite pop bands!!!)
http://myspace.com/euxautres + http://euxautres.bandcamp.
com/album/strangled-days (the newest EP - some of their best songs!)

BYRDS OF PARADISE (Brooklyn) have got ex-members of Dustheads and recent 7
inches on Wild World (label operated by Vivian Girls) + Don Giovanni
(Screaming Females, the Ergs!). Chaz turned me on to these dudes and he sez
"Two of those lovable Dustheaders have been transplanted into Byrds of
Paradise. I’m sold. Weird, driving, cold, psychedelic garage. There’s even a
slight jangle to it!" http://myspace.com/byrdsofparadisenyc

This show will start at 8 PM so pleease do me a favor - try to be here at 8
PM!!!!

The Layabout is 2702 Lawndale Ave DURHAM, a house (please respect the
neighbors.)

It's all-ages/ BYOB (some free beer for earlybirds!)/ $6 recommended
donation.

http://facebook.com/event.php?eid=143664318991291

ALSO...

TONIGHT at James Joyce Pub in Durham
please check out this Layabout-endorsed show! it's FREE and starts at 9pm,
with Rayon Beach on 1st - worth it to get there on time! .

RAYON BEACH are on tour from Austin, TX and are signed to HoZac records
(smith westerns, dum dum girls, wizzard sleeve, etc.) they play
garage/psychedelic rock that sorta brings to mind swell maps, soft boys or
fellow austinites/labelmates, woven bones. these dudes com...e highly
recommended... and probably will play first. don't miss out!
http://myspace.com/wovenbones

BLAG'ARD are a guitar/drums two-piece rock'n'roll band from chapel hill and
they feature the ex-singer/guitarist from capsize 7, who pitchfork once
called "the best defunct chapel hill rock band who didn't get enough props."
http://blagard.com/music.html

CAPTAIN, WE'RE SINKING! i can't say i know much about, but they're on tour
from Scranton, PA and sound like they make that sorta anthemic, sing-along
style punkrawk. fun for kids of all ages! http://myspace.com/captain
weresinking

Yrs,
Craig Layabout

  • Durham house show on sunday! plus a show tonight (wed.), Craig Powell, 08/11/2010