ch-scene - Come Get Your Groove On for FREE at BSC!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Come Get Your Groove On for FREE at BSC!
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 05:35:36 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

Wednesday, May 19
=95 7:30P Open Mic Night

Thursday, May 20
=95 5P Camelot Academy Bands
=95 9P Jay Kutchma (of Red Collar)
=95 10P Caleb Caudle and the Bayonets (rock/soul/americana)
=95 11P Martha Ann Motel (indie)

Friday, May 21
=95 8P Chris Bryant - The 2010 Discovery Series (Bob Marley)
=95 10P Funkuponya (funk/jazz/jam)

Saturday, May 22
=95 8P Ken Larson Trio (jazz/swing/bossa)
=95 10P Public Nudity Songwriters Night #8 - SEASON FINALE
This months guest artists are: David Glaser and Jonathan Byrd

Sunday, May 23
=95 7:30P Sawyer-Goldberg Jazz Band

---DETAILS---
Wednesday, May 19
=95 7:30P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday, May 20
=95 5P Camelot Academy Bands
The Camelot Academy Bands, directed by Glenn Mehrbach. Playing a
variety of music from different pop, jazz and rock styles, as well as
original compositions by band members, these 2 bands are composed of
Middle and High School aged musicians who rehearse every other weekday
morning at Camelot Academy in Durham. Selections include "Roundabout"
by Yes, "Fever," by Peggy Lee, "I Get Around" by the Beach Boys, and
even some Charlie Daniels, Queen and Counting Crowes. With no trumpets
or saxophones in sight, this is definitely not your typical school
band music.

=95 9P Jay Kutchma (of Red Collar)
As the frontman of Durham's seminal band Red Collar Jay has been
honing his brand of anthemic post-punk in a cloud of screaming guitars
and pounding rhythms but has in recent months replaced the haze of
volume and pockets of energy with restrained, focused versions of his
own songs and classic reworked covers for his solo sets.

=95 10P Caleb Caudle and the Bayonets (rock/soul/americana)
Recorded at Asheville's Echo Mountain Studios with engineer Jon Ashley
(Avett Brothers, Band of Horses) at the helm, Snake River Canyon is
far and away the most rock 'n roll effort by Caleb yet, seamlessly
blending alt-country and indie rock influences across 10 tracks with
the help of bassist Kyle Caudle, drummer Chad Newsom and guitarist
Stephn Barrett Krimm Pollard. Ryan Monroe guests on keys.

"Good god, where did this kid come from? Okay, so nominally, Caleb
Caudle hails from Winston-Salem, NC, and he keeps a toe or two in
Tennessee, where he cut both his 2007 debut Red Bank Road and Stay On
(the latter, with Neilsen Hubbard at the board). But the 22-year old
sounds like he stepped straight outta Lone Star territory, with jaw-
droppingly fine songs steeped in classic Earle, Ely, Clark, McMurtry
and Van Zandt."
- Fred Mills, BLURT

=95 11P Martha Ann Motel (indie)

Friday, May 21
=95 8P Chris Bryant - The 2010 Discovery Series (Bob Marley)
Middle school teacher by day, singer/songwriter by night, singer/
songwriter by night, Chris Bryant approaches varied genres and subject
matter with soulful honesty. It doesn't matter if he's singing about
love, love lost, social responsibility or having fun at a party - when
Chris sings, people listen. And when they listen, they believe him.

In 2010, Chris is playing a special series of shows at the Broad
Street Cafe. Each month, he'll play a 45-50 minute set of music from
an artist, band, or genre that's been influential or inspirational to
his musical development. He'll follow that up with a 45-50 minute set
of his own material. January's featured artist is Ben Harper. To
find out more, visit http://discover.chrisbryantmusic.com.

=95 10P Funkuponya (funk/jazz/jam)
The four of us have gotten together on a united cause. exploring funk
for the good of the humankind. Funk has many forms, but what it all
comes down to is does it make you groove. That is where we come in,
ain't no cure once da funkuponya!

Saturday, May 22
=95 8P Ken Larson Trio (jazz/swing/bossa)
The KLT consists of Ken Larson on guitar, Lex Larson on bass and Todd
Gambling percussion/vocals. KTL focuses on mid-20th century
traditional Jazz with an emphasis on Bossa. Favorite composers
include: Jobim, Miles, Ellington, Mingus.

=95 10P Public Nudity Songwriters Night #8 - SEASON FINALE
A series featuring great area songwriters. Hosted by Greg Humphreys
(Dillon Fence, Hobex).

This months guest artists are: David Glaser and Jonathan Byrd

David Glaser
"David Glaser spins his stories and songs out of whole cloth. Denim,
mostly. He writes love songs for cars, ballads for houses, and tunes
so full of longing for the past and hope for the future, so gorgeous
in their wholeness that you may find yourself humming "I keep your
picture in my car" on Wednesday of next week... He's got a voice that
sounds like honey poured into a rusty cup of tea, sweetness bursting
out of him like an orange squeezed in the bright sunlight of a
Baltimore summer Sunday." - David Morreale, host of the S.N.A.F.U.
songwriter series.

Jonathan Byrd
A native of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Jonathan grew up singing in
the Southern Baptist church, where his father preached and his mother
played piano. After four years in the Navy, he returned to Chapel Hill
to play in rock bands in that legendary underground music scene. A
friend of Jonathan's invited him to an old-time fiddle festival in the
mountains of southwest Virginia, where his writing began to change.
Assimilating the sounds of southern traditional music, Byrd wrote new
songs in an ancient style.
One of those first songs was "Velma," a murder ballad based on the
true story of Velma Barfield, the last woman to be executed in North
Carolina (in 1984) and the murderer of Jonathan's own grandfather.
This was the track that prompted Tom Paxton to respond so eloquently
to Byrd's music.
As Jonathan grows into a contemporary artist of increasing
influence, his traditional roots are always evident in his simple,
poetic storytelling and classic flatpick guitar style. But, as quoted
in a recent interview for Dirty Linen magazine, Jonathan says,
"Everything I do is a departure from what I've done." "The Sea and the
Sky" is certainly evidence of that. Keep an ear out for an upcoming
electric album, sure to take us further out on a limb without
forgetting our roots.
"I thought I was listening to a young Doc Watson." Jay Moulon,
Southeast Performer Magazine

Sunday, May 23
=95 7:30P Sawyer-Goldberg Jazz Band
"Our style is highly improvisational, with an emphasis on interplay &
polyphony. The music is our passion & we delight in sharing it with
listeners."

Lou Sawyer& Pete Goldberg have been performing jazz together since
1980. Their repertoire is focused on mainstream jazz classics,
standards, & originals.

The current Sawyer-Goldberg jazz group, which was formed in 1993,
includes:
Susan Cohen - vocals
Roger Cook - electric & acoustic bass
Pete Goldberg - guitar
Lou Sawyer - alto, tenor & soprano sax
David Shore - drums

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

  • Come Get Your Groove On for FREE at BSC!, BSC, 05/17/2010