ch-scene - Re: Sound proof/attenuation construction

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <hepstyle AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Sound proof/attenuation construction
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:38:51 -0500

OK, so you're building a structure from scratch, and you have all necessary
permits and everything? I just want to be clear that what I'm picturing in
my head is what you have in mind.

* Windows: The single best way to limit the amount of sound that permeates
will be number and sizes of windows. If you can limit that, you're off to a
great start. but then you have climate control to think about. So planning
is obviously key.

I really hope I'm not sounding condescending. I'm thinking in print.

* If you're building from scratch, you have the luxury of putting most of
your sound dampening material inside the walls. I would think that some
good, dense insulation would be pretty much all you need in order to keep
sound in. I mean, I practice in my guest room, and while neighbors two
doors down can hear THAT we're practicing when they're in their back yards,
nothing makes it through both sets of walls, and I have crappy insulation if
I have any at all.

It seems like it would be pretty easy to get your outside walls put up and
insulation installed and then test it out.

I don't think it would take much to get everything within the parameters of
local ordinances. This is all I can think of, and others are way smart and
more experienced when it comes to this stuff than me. Listen to them. Good
luck!

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Michel Inserny <minserny AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning fellas,
>
> I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I'm trying to get some
> help building a band practice space in my back yard. Has anybody done
> something similar that can give me some contacts, web links, telephone
> numbers, etc to get some advice as of what's the best way to sound
> attenuate/proof new construction so my neighbors dont complain when I play
> music in that room?
>
> This will be a new, independent building that will be a little more than
> 100
> ft away from any neighbor, and I need to make 100% sure it works for the
> purpose.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michel

Der Weg ist das Ziel