ch-scene - Re: King Kahn and the Shrines

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: chaz <bullcityrocks AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: King Kahn and the Shrines
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:36:31 -0700 (PDT)

Fun thread!!
Yeah, back in the days of shows at the shop a couple years ago the
King Khan & BBQ Show came through and played up here. My floor wasn't
broken yet then, but that definitely put the scare in me! I believe it
was a rainy Sunday night?

Personally, I like the King Khan & BBQ Show recordings a little bit
better, though different styles. As well as the BBQ solo record "Tie
Your Noose." They're way more doo-wop influenced, so a lot less James
Brown-ish and a bit more lo-fi. I'd definitely suggest picking that
up, Chris!!

Also, they were both in an Oblivians-style band back in the 90s called
the Spaceshits. Put out some stuff on Sympathy for the Record
Industry. I stocked 'em at one time, but now that stuff is harder to
track down. Real sloppy and bratty, noisy garage, fun stuff.

Some other good semi-recent garage records:

(totally agree with Ben too, the new Cheap Time is great and the new
Thee Oh Sees is awesome! Cheap Time is Jeffrey Novak's new band and
Thee Oh Sees is John Dwyer's side project turned full-on project. He's
the dude from Pink & Brown and the Coachwhips!)

*THE SATELLITERS - WHERE DO WE GO?: great psych garage for ya Chris C.
very reminiscent of Love circa "Alone Again Or." been around since the
90s, their earlier stuff was more punky, but they've mellowed out a
lot.

*THE REIGNING SOUND - TOO MUCH GUITAR: not really new anymore, came
out in '05 i believe, but it's one of my favorite recent garage
records. probably my very favorite. it's Greg Cartwright from the
Oblivians. this project is way more roots rock, country and doo-wop
influenced but cranked out. one of the best current songwriters. if
you liked the new Mary Weiss record, you'll dig him, he wrote the
songs for her.

*DAVILA 666 - SELF TITLED: brand new on In the Red. Stooges and MC5
worship from Brazil. pretty amazing.

*NO AGE - NOUNS: scuzzy, noisy and lo-fi, but a great melodic
backbone. you can tell they worship both the Butthole Surfers and
Buzzcocks. on Sub Pop so the recording quality is standout.

*THOMAS FUNCTION - CELEBRATION: a great new upbeat garage record that
rests somewhere in between garage, powerpop and country without ever
actually sounding like any one of those at any given moment. it's
amazing. definitely in my top 10 for the year. twangy, fun and
reckless.

*GENTLEMAN JESSE & HIS MEN - SELF TITLED: best powerpop record of the
year. very reminiscent of early Stiff Records stuff. catchy but with
just enough bite to it. think - Nick Lowe/Wreckless Eric.

*THE OKMONIKS - PARTY FEVER: good party garage record. lo-fi, bouncy
and fun.

*CARBONAS - SELF TITLED: reckless like the Dead Boys, yet catchy
enough to get some Ramones nods.

*DEADLY SNAKES - ODE TO JOY: also from a handful of years ago, but
phenomenal swaggery garage. more R&B in the sense of the early Stones
but with a bit of swing reminiscent of the Band.

hope someone finds something they might dig in there!!