ch-scene - Re: Another Club to Close

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Another Club to Close
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 10:50:22 -0500

You only have to buy the membership once, you know.

As far as show prices go, it has been *years* since we've had the "shows are too expensive" discussion. Now we have the internet to assist us. Let's pick 3 random upcoming shows:

Super Furry Animals/Fiery Furnaces:
Cat's Cradle: $15
9:30 Club DC: $17
Variety Playhouse, Atlanta: $15

Dan Deacon/Ultimate Reality:
Local 506: $10
Eyedrum, ATL: $10
Emo's, Austin: $10

Marah:
Local 506: $10
9:30 Club DC: $15
Smith's Olde Bar, ATL: $12

It would appear, based on a cursory & non-scientific survey, that our 90s-era advantage on ticket prices vs. the next-closest tour stops (ATL & DC) is still in place for some shows, but we're at parity for smaller/more-esoteric shows.

Either way you slice it, if shows are too expensive for you & the band is from out of town, it's likely not the venue's fault. Perhaps it's the fault of your employer, or the economy as a whole (this is where, when I'm listening to economic news on NPR in the car, I yell out, in a weird angry accent, "George BUUUUUSH!") that your wages haven't kept pace with inflation over the past 8 years.

Ditto the price of beer, I guess.

I'm not trying to discount your appreciation of smaller/cheaper venues & shows, as I love 'em too. Perhaps I'm suggesting that the difference nowadays is that some bands wish to break even on tours, and some of those bands are the bands playing the Cradle and 506, and some bands still treat touring as a money-losing adventure, and they're the ones playing those smaller clubs for $5, sleeping on floors, and seeing whatever tiny profit they make inevitably burned away at the auto-repair shop in Tucson in the form of a new rear axle.

Things are tough all over.

xo

Ross

l.sward wrote:
I have to agree with David. I think the ABC laws are a big deterrent.
I remember the days, granted I know they weren't complying with such
laws, when you could pass by the 506, see some you liked and get in
for a decent price with no membership. No...unfortunately I don't have
the extra money to pay to see bands at the 506 or pay for price
increase on "cheap" beer. I went to a show at the 506, one that I had
been super excited about, and by the time I had gotten in bought a
beer and a t-shirt, of the band I wanted to see but only saw half
there set due to a crazy early start time, I had spent $30. I bought
cheap beer! Now I don't know about you but I don't make that kind of
money. I'm not try to single out the 506...so sorry if it seems that
way, but that is why I will go to the other smaller place to see
music, because I'm not paying $12 to see a band and over $2 for a PBR/
Highlife.

All I do know, and I know I might seem naive, is that those dumpy
little clubs, that aren't real "rock" clubs, have hosted some amazing
music. The Thrones....a band that I love to death can't get a show in
this area..except in a dumpy little dive. Joe Preston told me himself
that his booking agent had the hardest time booking in the area. The
show was packed. Also those places don't charge over $7 to see a show.
I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I guess I'm saying I want to
support local music, but I feel I'm paying a premium to do so and I
can't afford that premium. Nuf said.

P.S. Lizard and Snake....restaurant + bad-ass rock club.

david gourley wrote:
grady AT ibiblio.org (grady) put forth the notion
in...477E9C0D.90505 AT ibiblio.org:">news:477E9C0D.90505 AT ibiblio.org:

Do you say this in reference to restaurants that are primarily
restaurants, and thus the owners don't really give a crap about music,
and thus they make unreasonable demands of the bands and are generally
jerks?
Restaurants that are primarily restaurants. Since I don't play those
places, I have no idea of the apparent jerk factor. Maybe they are,
maybe they aren't... you tell me. If they are, then it's probably worse.

Or are you suggesting there's something inherently wrong with food and
rock music sharing a space? Because I would want to disagree with the
latter, but I suspect you're thinking more along the lines of the
former.
Not necessarily, but I think trying to be all things to all people isn't
too great in a profitable sense for the musicians. So yes, your thinking
would be correct of my view in my thinking more in terms of the former.
Again, I said that I thought some of this was due to ABC laws, so some
places (ie restaurants) didn't have to become private clubs in order to
server liquour with their rawk.

Are bands really making a lot of money playing these places, anyway?

david

david gourley wrote:

I think most restaurants that suddenly become night clubs at a later
hour before they turn into pumpkins again only hurt whatever scene
there is to be had, and seldom really help things. Then again, bands
that want to support this kind of thing are also complicit in that
case (IMNSHFO). I see a lot of that being driven by ABC laws, but
maybe that's just me.