ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of March 4, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of March 4, 2006
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:25:05 -0500

The music player thingy is more or less done, except for that thing where it'll repeat a band if that band is playing more than one show in the area. It'll take me 15 minutes to fix that but it's 15 minutes I don't have at this precise moment. New home for the music player: http://groovo.org (it's also linked from just below the page title at http://www.trianglerock.com , and will continue to be so unless I think of a better idea)

Stuff:

Saturday, March 4
The Balance [http://www.thebalanceband.com/], Can Joann
[http://www.canjoann.com/], Junior Varsity Superheroes
[http://myspace.com/juniorvarsitysuperheroes]
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

As if Chaz hasn't done enough for the Durham rock scene already, now
he's trying to do something about lackadaisical start-times, which
means show up at 8:30 or you're gonna miss the first band.

Saturday, March 4
Sorry About Dresden [http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com], The Wedding
Present [http://www.scopitones.co.uk/index.html], Sally Crewe and the
Sudden Moves [http://www.thesuddenmoves.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I would say something about the rumors being that this is the last
Sorry About Dresden show ever, but since it's also the first show
they've played in what seems like a year or so, and since all of us
had pretty much assumed that the *last* SAD show was the last show
ever, let's instead call this a glorious & oh-so-rare 2nd chance to
say goodbye, and do it right this time.

Saturday, March 4
Tiger Bear Wolf [http://www.tigerbearwolf.com], Birds of Avalon
[http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon], Destructionnaire
[http://www.myspace.com/destructionnaire]
Kings, Raleigh

Birds of Avalon are a Raleigh supergroup featuring current and/or
former members of Cherry Valence, The Weather, Strange, etc. They make
Raleigh Rock with a blissed/psych vibe.

Tiger Bear Wolf are from Greensboro & they're carrying the banner for
that city's longterm love affair with the mind-meld between
postpunk/indierock and Southern Rawk.

I read somewhere that Destructionnaire have members of Utah! and
DeYarmond Edison. I think.

Saturday, March 4
Extreme Animals [http://www.paperrad.org/extreme/], Haunted House
[http://www.adonismusic.com/hhouse.htm], Abuelo Hongo
[http://www.myspace.com/abuelohongo]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

"It's our birthday party! We've got peeps from PAPERRAD with their hot
floor-writhing, colorful animations, FEVER for your ears eyes and
butt. HAUNTED HOUSE are like-minded sonically, like a thousand kittens
staring at you, "let's dance". Dance records provided by our
favoritest DJs guide us through the night. The party starts quietly
with 2 Warren Wilson dropouts with a cello, digeredoo, guitar, and
cassette on Nautical Almanac's HERESEE label - They kinda remind me of
what I like about Henry Flynt. Clear your mind, take a deep breath,
clap three times, RELAX, RAVE, RELEASE."

Sunday, March 5
Countdown Quartet [http://www.countdownq.com/], Heads on Sticks
[http://www.thisisstrange.org/], Spader
[http://www.myspace.com/spadermusic], A Rooster for the Masses
[http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses], Alphas Wear Grey
[http://www.alphasweargrey.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

This is a benefit for Independent Weekly columnist/ longtime Raleigh
populist/drinker/gadfly Peter Eichenberger, who fell off his bike &
had an unfortunate interaction between his head & something hard at
ground level. How fucking STUPID is this country that we don't have
universal health care? Words cannot express. Here's the full lineup
per Kings: CRISIS LOUNGE... HEADS ON STICKS... DJ JJ... ALPHAS WEAR
GREY... SPADER...
OEDIPUS DICK... A ROOSTER FOR THE MASSES... COUNTDOWN QUARTET

Oh yeah, it's an afternoon thing, 1-8 p.m.

Sunday, March 5
Tigersaw [http://www.tigersaw.com], Real Fun Funeral
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

"Tigersaw brings HOT fans to unorthodox venues with their inaudible
acoustic crotch-rock. Real Fun Funeral are as constant as the trade
winds: visualize all of the world’s trade winds focused on the heart
of Carrboro and you would have this wandering ghost band. (one of them
is a professional busker!)"

[and this is a *good* thing?]

Sunday, March 5
Quisp, The Spores
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 5
Hobex [http://www.hobex.com], Tea Leaf Green
[http://www.tealeafgreen.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 5
The Capulets [http://www.thecapulets.net], En Garde
[http://www.myspace.com/engardemusic], Boxbomb, Push To Talk
[http://www.pushtotalkrock.com/]
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Capulets are that Raleigh band whom Chris Parker wishes he could take
with him when he moves to Cleveland. Who sound like the Strokes.

En Garde features [ex- by this time] members of Sorry About Dresden,
the Scaries & Strunken White. They make what I'm lately referring to
in private as "The O.C.-rock."

Monday, March 6
The Balance [http://www.thebalanceband.com/], Bibis Ellison
[http://www.myspace.com/bibisellison], Tigersaw
[http://www.tigersaw.com], Dan Blakeslee
[http://www.danblakeslee.com/]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Tuesday, March 7
Harry and the Potters [http://www.eskimolabs.com/hp/band.htm], Uncle
Monsterface [http://www.unclemonsterface.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

This is an early (first band at 8:00) show; I dunno about preteen-rock
(except for the obligatory recent exposure to Devo 2.0) but there are
MP3s on the [groovo.org] player so knock yrself out.

Tuesday, March 7
National Eye [http://www.nationaleye.com/], The Teeth
[http://www.myspace.com/teeth]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Tuesday, March 7
Dites Donc [http://www.myspace.com/ditesdonc]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

"Organizers of Milwaukee's Fash Attack! Fashion Show take their show
on the road. Dites Donc provides the soundtrack to the performance,
which is a combination fashion show, dance battle, dance party, strip
tease, "performance"art extravaganza. No lie. An extravaganza!"

Wednesday, March 8
Mogwai [http://www.abandcalledmogwai.com/], Growing
[http://www.growingsound.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, March 8
In the Year of the Pig [http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm],
Black Skies, Pearls and Brass [http://www.pearlsandbrass.com/ ]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Black Skies are, I think, an evolved/membership-stabilized version of
a band formerly known as The Man, which means you get your Kevin Clark
out front writhing & singing, which is what you want, trust me.

In The Year of The Pig make fuzzwashed gtr-bass-drums freakout
wall-of-everything music, with little animal hats. Video somewhere on
[http://www.trianglerock.com/video/] this page.

Wednesday, March 8
Alphas Wear Grey [http://www.alphasweargrey.com/]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Thursday, March 9
Erie Choir [http://www.eriechoir.com], Late Night Television
[http://www.latenighttelevision.org/], En Garde
[http://www.myspace.com/engardemusic], Grammar Debate
[http://www.myspace.com/grammardebate]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Matt Kelley runs Route 14 records & plays in Late Night Television.
All of this occurs in Philadelphia. Despite that, most of the other
bands on Route 14 are actually broken-up Chapel Hill bands (Scaries,
Strunken White, Sorry About Dresden), many of whose former members are
in En Garde and Erie Choir.

Thursday, March 9
Mount Moriah [http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah], Marissa Nadler
[http://www.marissanadler.com]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight quoted the Wire:

"Nadler first came to notice as one of the wildcards on last year's
Tom Rapp tribute put together by Secret Eye, and as her inclusion
there makes clear, she favours dark folk ballads that reach far into
the blackest areas of space. Her debut album Ballads of Living and
Dying is a beauty...The LP's back cover fearures some cryptic artwork
that looks like a nod towards Current 93's epochal Swastikas for Noddy
album, and references to other decadent fantasists and folkloric topes
dot the record, culminating in her setting of Edgar Allen Poe's
Annabelle Lee for acoustic and electric guitar. But it's her own
compositions, with titles like "Stallions" and "Box of Cedar", that
leave the heaviest afterimages in the air; beautiful hybrids of
dark-hearted Bert Jansch-style folk, and drugged, weightless psych."

Thursday, March 9
Fashion Design [http://fashiondesignband.com/], Asobi Seksu
[http://www.asobiseksu.com/], Edie Sedgwick
[http://www.ediesedgwick.biz/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

One part Chapel Hill pan-continental echo/chorusy 80s-revivalist
4AD-rock; one part Brooklyn bilingual plush/swirly dreampop; one part
transsexual Warhol-diva-channeling celebrity-tribute-singing global
popstar.

Thursday, March 9
GoGoGo Airheart [http://www.gogogoairheart.com/], Jai-Alai Savant
[http://savant.paintthesky.org/tmusic.html]