ch-scene - Re: Nike to Minor Threat: up yrs

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bo Williams <bowilliams AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Nike to Minor Threat: up yrs
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:57:48 -0400

The issue at hand is profit (isn't it always?) The level-headed (as
opposed to the camp who says anything we do is right, anything
Nike/Microsoft/the Supreme Court/the RIAA/etc. does is wrong)
self-dubbed "copyfighters" will be the first to say that this is why
we have things like the Creative Commons license- appropriate all you
want, but play by my rules- which may or may not include things like
citations and limits on whether you can make a profit off
appropriating my work. This is better than copyright, but needs basic
copyright law to back it up in a lot of ways (I think).

It's sort of a "consumerist morals" question- is appropriation only OK
when you don't plan to make money off it? And if so, where's your leg
to stand on in the larger copyright debate? We're all out to make a
buck, after all.

But yeah, I get your point, and it will be amusing to watch how this is spun.

Bo