ccafrica-oer - Re: [Ccafrica-oer] CC Content Edit-a-thon for Outernet: Tentative dates July 17-19

ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jane Park <janepark AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Simeon Oriko <simeon AT jamlab.co.ke>
  • Subject: Re: [Ccafrica-oer] CC Content Edit-a-thon for Outernet: Tentative dates July 17-19
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 14:32:38 -0700

I think this would be a great opportunity to build up a CC library for one of the African jurisdictions. Please let me know if you are interested!

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Jane Park <janepark AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
Hi all!

I've been talking to the folks behind Outernet (https://www.outernet.is/) which is focused on getting quality content to regions of the world with little to no Internet connectivity. We are working on a CC integration and part of that is finding and curating CC-licensed content to populate the initial library that will be broadcast.

Outernet is planning for a large public release on July 7 that will include announcing that their signal is completely global and delivering 1 GB per day and allowing anyone to upload a file to Outernet. On that day, they would like to be able to have a date for visitors of their first edit-a-thon, two weeks later. The edit-a-thon would consist of a F2F event and also allow remote participation. We are thinking of holding this edit-a-thon on July 17-19. For those who are interested in holding such an event, how do these dates look for you?

Our aim is to build up a library of CC content with a focus on one region at a time. Outernet has suggested Guatemala, Haiti, or Kenya for the first region. If you are in one of these regions and interested in hosting an edit-a-thon, please let me know. If you are not in one of these regions but are interested in hosting an edit-a-thon, please let me know! We will start with the region where there is strongest interest. We could then time the announcement of Outernet's CC integration with a call to help populate the CC library for X region.

This is a great opportunity for us to get CC licensed and public domain content into a platform as it is just beginning.

Best,
Jane

--
Jane Park
@janedaily

Make a donation to support CC in 2015: http://bit.ly/supportcc2015

--
Jane Park
@janedaily
Creative Commons | Los Angeles

Make a donation to support CC in 2015: http://bit.ly/supportcc2015

  • Re: [Ccafrica-oer] CC Content Edit-a-thon for Outernet: Tentative dates July 17-19, Jane Park, 06/03/2015