ccafrica-oer - Re: [Ccafrica-oer] [ccAfrica] wd: [cc-affiliates] Affiliate Project Grants Program Launches

ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Paul KIHWELO <paulkih AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org>, CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "paulogendi AT gmail.com" <paulogendi AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Ccafrica-oer] [ccAfrica] wd: [cc-affiliates] Affiliate Project Grants Program Launches
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 16:07:27 +0200

Dear Paul, dear CC Africa colleagues:

Paul, let me use your email as a peg to remind everybody on the CC Africa and CC Africa OER mailing lists of this wonderful opportunity to apply for the Affiliate Project Grant, thanks to Google. In other words, Google has given CC some money to support several CC-related projects around the world in the next 9 months. Please have a look at this website for a detailed description of what this Grant is all about: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Affiliate_Project_Grants

This certainly is a great opportunity for us in Africa to do some of the projects we long wanted to do but never could because we had no money to make them a reality. In this light, it would be a real pity if we did not submit several proposals from affiliate countries and other communities in Africa. I particularly appeal to the CC public leads in our affiliate countries to come up with some project ideas/proposals before the deadline of 8 July. The aforementioned website will give you some food for thought of what kind of projects we could do. Also remember that many of us really liked the idea of having an African version of the Libre Bus initiative (http://www.librebusconosur.org/en), i.e. an Uhuru Bus. Perhaps someone wants to take the lead on this and submit a proposal?

Now, coming back to your question Paul of how much money is available and whether the money is to be spent per country or per region. Google has given money to CC per region. The African region has received a total of USD 20,000 (which by the way needs to be paid pack if we do not spend it). This means that we could either have one big project for that amount or several smaller projects in different countries (e.g. 6 projects for USD 3,000 each). Personally I would prefer multiple smaller projects but then again if we had a big collaborative project like Uhuru Bus I would not have a problem to spend it all on one. I hope this answers your question?

Please do not hesitate to contact Alex or myself should you have any further questions regarding this grant.

Best,

Tobias

---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter