cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Issues and suggestions

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Issues and suggestions
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:26:06 +0100
On 29 Jul 2004, at 22:16, Rob Myers wrote:

(e) The honour and reputation 5D/5E provisions. We have already had
problems with the Debian classification in relation to 5G and I am sure we
will have issues with these provisions as well. I will check how the German
License has dealt with this problem and get back to you.

One thing I don't think I mentioned before is that as well as these being above and beyond the CC-2.0 requirements they can be used by mischievous or egotistical contributors to wreak havoc on users.

But under the Berne convention authors have a right of Integrity as well as paternity:

Article 6bis of the Berne Convention recognizes the rights of “attribution” and “integrity.” This provision states that an author “shall have the right to claim authorship of the work [right of attribution] and to object to any distortion, mutilation, or other modification of, or other derogatory action in relation to, the said work, which would be prejudicial to his honor or reputation [the right of integrity]”*

The US is a Berne signatory so it's curious CC-2.0 doesn't cover these rights (unless I've missed something or it doesn't need to under US law).

Incidentally, all the other English-language iCommons licenses do seem to be directy modified versions of the original US CC license.

- Rob.

* From http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/articles/jaic36-02-006_3.html