cc-south-caucasus - Re: [Cc-south-caucasus] Armenia_ALL CC Licenses

cc-south-caucasus AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons in the South Caucasus

  • From: Movses Hakobyan <movses.hakobyan AT gmail.com>
  • To: Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-south-caucasus AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-south-caucasus] Armenia_ALL CC Licenses
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:41:59 +0500

Dear Diane,
Thanks a lot for your reply, below are the answers to your questions.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 16:23, Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>wrote:

> Dear Movses,
> Our apologies for being late to reply, and thank you for your email of a
> few hours ago.
>
> We took the extra time to do another, thorough review of the licenses and
> discuss internally a few comments we had. We've tried to aggregate all of
> those below, for ease of reference.
>
> First, the No Derivatives solution you propose seems fine - specifically,
> to change the term "derivative work" to "transformations of works". When
> you implement this, please be very careful in the license grant in terms of
> "collections."
>
> Second, regarding the definition of "Law" and the use of that throughout in
> the remainder of the license text, we believe that should be fine. Please
> be sure that the parenthetical "(hereinafter referred to as LAW)" is placed
> AFTER the "and/or other applicable law" so the definition captures both
> Armenian law and other applicable law.
>
> Third, the jurisdiction clause is fine as you've prepared it.
>
> Finally, a couple of notes that came up on a harder review:
>
> (i) In the definition of Licensor in the English, you use "Rights to Use"
> as though it's a defined term, but there is no definition anywhere. Is that
> intentional, and is it in the Armenian also?

That is according to the same Law- "Article 13. Economic Rights of the
Author: The author has an exclusive *right to use *his work in any mode and
form, as well as to authorize or prohibit third persons to use his work,
particularly;" ........... list of those rights.

> (ii) Similarly, the "Non-economic" rights language in 4a is in quotations,
> is there a reason for that?

No, that is not intentionally, I will correct that in EN version, however as
I checked this wording appeared in quotations only in BY-NC-ND (4e). In
Armenian one there are no quotations.

> (iii) Regarding Section 5 warranties, I just want to be sure that I
> understand that this clause has been drafted as narrowly as possible. I
> realize also that you have been through this with Catharina and Michelle,
> but I just want to be sure I understand also. In the retranslation and
> explanation, you indicate:
>
> *[In fact, exclusion of implied warranties is discordant to the principle
> of bona fide attitude of*
>
> *parties to the contract. However, it makes reservation on application of
> this clause therefore it *has been omitted in the text.]
>
> By this, I am assuming that all of the warranties you have included are
> required to be included in order for the agreement to be enforceable and
> there is no narrower set of warranties that would suffice? We do see that
> some jurisdictions require inclusion of warranties, but I just want to
> double check. Thanks in advance for helping me fully understand this.

Diane, You are right, such requirement is coming from Civil Code to make
contract enforceable and valid. At that time we with Catharina tried to
make it softer and finally came to the current solution.
Thank you once again for guidance, it was really pleasure to collaborate
with CCi team of experts. If there would be other points for clarification I
am open to discuss them.
Movses

> [...]
> to confirm with you. We are excited about helping you draw this to a quick
> close prior to suspension of work on the licenses!
>
> Best regards,
> Diane
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Movses Hakobyan <
> movses.hakobyan AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear friends,
>> In case you have not got the letter below I am resending that in
>> expectation of your advice and comments.
>> Thank you
>> Movses
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 18:02, Movses Hakobyan
>> <movses.hakobyan AT gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Catharina, Diane and all,
>>>
>>> Following the four Licenses communicated to you, now I am trying to
>>> settle Licenses with ND element with your support. So, below is the
>>> extract
>>> from the Law on Copyright (definitions part) FYI then my suggestions for
>>> Armenian versions:
>>>
>>> Article 3 *. Subject Matters of Copyright (Non-official translation)*
>>> k) *derivative works*, particularly:
>>>
>>> i translations, adaptations of works, changes, arrangements and
>>> rearrangements, stage versions, audiovisual *adaptations** *and other
>>> transformations of works in the scientific, literary and art domain,
>>> which are in compliance with paragraph (1) of this Article;
>>>
>>> ii *collections of works* (encyclopedias, anthologies), databases and
>>> other composite works, which are, by the reason of the selection and
>>> (or) arrangement of their contents, results of a creative work;
>>> So, in view that master licenses shall be in Armenian what I am proposing
>>> is to change "derivative work" term (also appeared in the title) with
>>> "transformations
>>> of works" in Armenian language licenses that is the only correct way, as
>>> for me, to be both legally and linguistically valid.
>>>
>>> Purpose of such change is to separate adaptations from collections in
>>> Licenses with NoDeriv element in order to make them both enforceable and
>>> compatible with requirements of Law.
>>>
>>> Consequently, in the light of abovementioned, to make all licenses
>>> maximally harmonized, same changes (linguistic part) are proposed to be
>>> introduced appropriately in other Licenses too (Armenian versions).
>>>
>>> Could you please let me know your point of view on this as soon as
>>> possible, we are on the way of production of promotional documents and two
>>> films that is why corrected definition terms are of very importance. Thank
>>> you in advance
>>>
>>> With kind regards
>>> Movses

> --
> Diane M. Peters, General Counsel
> Creative Commons
> 171 Second St, Suite 300
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> office: +1 415-369-8480
> fax: +1 415-278-9419
> cell: +1 503-803-8338
> skype: peterspdx
> email:diane AT creativecommons.org <email%3Adiane AT creativecommons.org>

Movses Hakobyan
Lawyer/Project Director
Internews' Centre for Information Law and Policy
3 Arshakunyats Ave, Yerevan 0023, Armenia
tel: + 374 10 583620
fax: + 374 10 569041
www.internews.am
www.media.am