cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] Future of CC music licenses?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: JJ Duggan <s0459752 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] Future of CC music licenses?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:03:30 +0100

Hello,

My name is Jonee and I am a newcomer to this list. Over the last week or so,
I've read through the discussion archive to get an understanding of what kind
of issues you people dealt with.

So congratulations on developments so far!

I am a researcher looking at licensing practices in music. My current research
aims to answer the question:

Is there a future for copyleft style licensing (e.g. CC sampling licenses) in
music?

I intend on answering these questions by analyzing the discussion forums and
then carrying out interviews with musicians & publishers.

To bring you up to date, I'm done with analyzing the dicussion forum, but I
want
to air a few questions with yous - the developers - to make sure I am not
completely ignoring important perspectives or opinions:

1. Who are CC licenses (Sampling, Sampling plus, Non-commercial Sampling plus
&
Music sharing license) aimed at:

(a) Musicians: Amateur or professional, composer or performer?
(b) Publishers: dedicated publishers, small or major record labels?

2. What was wrong about music publishing before copyleft style & CC licenses?

3. How do CC licenses offer a solution to publishing?

4. How will people know about alternative licenses such as CC?

5. What about the transition from copyright to copyleft licensing:

(a) At what rate is this happening; estimated timeline?
(b) How is (can) this transition influenced? (licenses themselves &
license
developers, musicians & consumers)

They may appear to be obvious or pointless questions, and discussion did at
times touch on these topics, but I think its worthwhile to put the simplified
questions to you all anyways!

Hopefully this can be of benefit to CC and the wider creative community, so
any
opinion - critical or otherwise - is welcomed.

Regards,
Jonee