cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] Asking others to release samples under CC

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Kristjan Varnik <k AT akademie-solitude.de>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] Asking others to release samples under CC
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:37:29 +0100

Hello,

I am a new subscribe to the list, and I am currently exploring copyright. I am putting together a non-commercial music CD of some
experimental electronic music. I am hoping to include a sample library on my CD for other people to use. I am trying to put samples
from other people's CDs inside this library, and would like to release those samples under this license:

*Sampling*: People can take and transform *pieces* of your work for any purpose other than advertising, which is prohibited.
Copying and distribution of the *entire work* is also prohibited.

or under the *Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 *license.*

*How would you recommend clearing other people's samples? Would be it easier to create a derivative work where I might have more control
of the copyright, or would it be better to ask them directly to put portions of their song under the cc sampling license. I have indirect contact
(friend of a friend) with the musicians whom I am hoping to work with. In your experiences, how easy/difficult is this process?

Any Thoughts?

Kristjan Varnik

  • [cc-sampling] Asking others to release samples under CC, Kristjan Varnik, 02/28/2005