cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] Re: Copyright of derivative work released under a CC licence

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: David Wendt <dcrkid AT optonline.net>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] Re: Copyright of derivative work released under a CC licence
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:47:52 -0500

cc-sampling-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi everybody!

I have been questioned about the copyright of a derivative work I have done, and since I'm not sure about the copyright issue, I hope someone can help me in this list.

I am the author of a set of templates to be used for implementig weblogs using a publishing system called Pivot. You can find information at this web site: http://www.littlecamels.com/icyblue/

This work is a derivative work. This set of templates was originally designed by another person for use with Movable Type publishing system and released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial
Licence.

My purpose was to have those templates ported to another publishing system. Which practically means that I have coded in a new programming language something that should look as close as possible to the original one.

The original author is acknowledged in the templates and in the readme.txt of the zip file containing the templates.

Since my interest is to make these new templates available for other people, I have then released my work under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial Licence for which I'm the copyright holder.
Incidently, the original author is aware of and agreed on that (he also hosts the zip file of my work, as you might notice from the link above).

Someone questioned me if I can claim to be the author of that as an original work and release it under a CC licence.

Now, I do understand that I'm the author of a derivative work, but I think that I am the copiright holder of that, since I am responsible of the full coding and behaviour of that work, which is meant to look as close as possible to another one, but that is coded under a completely different environment, and on which the original author has no responsibility.

I hope I made myself clear. Feel free to ask any further question and thanks for the collaboration.

Regards,
Raffaello Tesi