cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] And away we go...

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Christopher Randall <chris AT positronrecords.com>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] And away we go...
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:39:44 -0600

Hey, all:

I just wanted to introduce myself, and let you guys know that the archive of this list has been an invaluable resource to me for the last couple months.

'Round about mid-September, I decided to take the plunge and move the entire catalog of our label to Sampling+ licenses. What this entailed was getting yelled at by my lawyer, yelled at by the actual owner of the label (who is conveniently my wife, and thus someone I'm used to getting yelled at by...), getting yelled at by the artists, and just generally getting yelled at for several weeks, as I fought what seemed to be an uphill battle, trying to explain what this was and why it would be a Good Thing.

Well, all's well that ends well, and our first two actual releases under the CC Sampling+ license are right around the corner. The first record, called "in a haze" by the noise artist s.sturgis, will be released on Nov. 23rd, and is at the pressing plant as I type this. We will be changing the licenses of all our releases to Sampling or Sampling+ as each one gets repressed, unless the artist in question has strictly forbidden it (and we do have one that won't toe the line).

Here's the page where we've put up the info: http://www.positronrecords.com/cc

And here's my blog entry where I first announced the initiative, which is similar but more long-winded:
http://www.sistermachinegun.com/blog.jsp?month=10&year=2004

So, I just wanted to thank you guys for all your hard work, on behalf of my artists and myself. I am of the considered opinion that, while the Sampling+ license just legally allows what people are going to do anyway, it creates a new perception of the label and the artists on it, and in this business perception is everything.

Chris Randall
Positron Records, Inc.
http://www.positronrecords.com

  • [cc-sampling] And away we go..., Christopher Randall, 11/11/2004