cc-sampling - RE: [cc-sampling] Yet more name

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Don Joyce <dj AT webbnet.com>
  • To: creative commons license list <cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [cc-sampling] Yet more name
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:46:38 -0700

Title: RE: [cc-sampling] Yet more name
Catherine,
I understand this apprehension, but I still can't agree that, in reality, there is any danger to legal fair use by making some degree of it more available in a whole new variety of creative works and labeling it as a usable form of fair use. What would you call it? (I guess that's our debate here, isn't it) Our license is allowing all sorts of practices which have previously only been known as "fair uses." There is no other association with such restriction-free re-use practices. Codifying some degree of fair use (no payment and no permission, the foundation of fair use, is still in effect here) is not codifying or limiting the entire concept in any actual way. Section 107 is now unremovable, and will always remain there as "pure" fair use available to practically no one under any actual circumstances. In the meantime, it's fine to have some slightly lesser degree of fair use promoted and in actual use and called fair use in general, because the motivating principles are all exactly the same in any degree of fair use - to facilitate a free (or more free at least) and uncensorable re-use of cultural material in the creation of new cultural material. It is this concept, summed up in the term fair use, which I would want to closely associate with this license.
Your last sentence is especially true, however, and I'm thinking creating this license (including naming it) is an important opportunity to get this mentally evolving "common law" doctrine moving a little faster in the direction we're going.

Perhaps a title like "Modified Fair Use" would get this across?

DJ

I agree -- in today's environment the copyright act is a highly lobbied document and any more explicit codification of fair use would likely limit this doctrine.  Just look at what happened with the DMCA exemptions.  Remember that Section 107 was written to codify the judge-made fair use doctrine, not to bound it.  Especially with new media and new artistic techniques, I think fair use is necessarily an evolving common law-style doctrine.