cc-presslist - [cc-presslist] PRESS RELEASE: Creative Commons Celebrates Fifth Birthday With Parties

cc-presslist AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: complete press contact list for creative commons

  • From: Melissa Reeder <melissa AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-presslist AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-presslist] PRESS RELEASE: Creative Commons Celebrates Fifth Birthday With Parties
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:59:41 -0800

Text below; PDF attached

Creative Commons Celebrates Fifth Birthday With Parties

San Francisco event to feature performances by Gilberto Gil and DJ Spooky plus announcements from Lawrence Lessig and Joi Ito

San Francisco, CA — December 12, 2007

On December 16, 2007, Creative Commons will turn five years old. In celebration of this milestone, Creative Commons will host a celebration on Saturday, December 15, 2007 in San Francisco. Since the Creative Commons community is international, the organization is encouraging people around the world to host their own parties concurrently. There are currently parties being organized in Beijing, Berlin, Belgrade, Brisbane, Los Angeles, New York, Pasay City, San Francisco, and Seoul. For details or to register a party in another city, go to http://www.wiki.creativecommons.org/Birthday_Party.

The San Francisco event is made possible by the generosity of Mozilla, Last.fm, and the law firm Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. The event will feature a performance by Tropicalia superstar and Brazilian Minister of Culture Gilberto Gil, along with his son Bem Gil. There will also be music provided by DJ Spooky, live video remixing by Phi Phenomenon, and announcements by Creative Commons CEO Lawrence Lessig and Creative Commons chairman Joi Ito.

“We’re proud to be a sponsor of this landmark event, as we’ve always been firm believers in the Creative Commons endeavor,” said Martin Stiksel, Last.fm’s co-founder. “We use CC licenses for our Web services and APIs, and strive alongside the CC team to provide artists with the resources to stay in control of their own work. We look forward to the next 50 years of CC!”

"Mozilla shares Creative Commons' commitment to creating a participatory culture through public benefit work," said Mike Shaver, Chief Evangelist at Mozilla. "We're proud of what they've achieved, honored to be a supporter of their endeavors, and excited to see what the future will bring."

About Last.fm

Founded in 2002 in London, Last.fm is the online social music revolution that connects people with music and artists with listeners.  By joining the Last.fm community, music fans can choose to share their music preferences by linking their media player to the Last.fm database. This database is populated continually with over 600 million monthly track submissions from Last.fm music fans. As a result, Last.fm can intelligently recommend songs, artists, local concerts, and even other members based on their musical tastes.

Contact

Christian Ward

PR Manager, Last.fm

christian AT last.fm

About Mozilla

Mozilla is a global community dedicated to building free, open source products and technologies that improve the online experience for people everywhere. We work in the open with a highly disciplined, transparent and cooperative development process, under the umbrella of the non-profit Mozilla Foundation. As a wholly owned subsidiary, the Mozilla Corporation organizes the development and marketing of Mozilla products. This unique structure has enabled Mozilla to financially support and cultivate competitive, viable community innovation. For more information, visit www.mozilla.com.

Contact

Melissa Shapiro

PR Manager, Mozilla

melissa AT mozilla.com

About Creative Commons

Creative Commons is a not-for-profit organization, founded in 2001, that promotes the creative re-use of intellectual and artistic works, whether owned or in the public domain. Through its free copyright licenses, Creative Commons offers authors, artists, scientists, and educators the choice of a flexible range of protections and freedoms that build upon the “all rights reserved” concept of traditional copyright to enable a voluntary “some rights reserved” approach. Creative Commons is sustained by the generous support of organizations including the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Omidyar Network, the Hewlett Foundation, and the Rockefeller Foundation, as well as members of the public. For more information about Creative Commons, visit http://creativecommons.org.

Contact

Melissa Reeder
Development Coordinator, Creative Commons

Press Kit

http://creativecommons.org/presskit

  • [cc-presslist] PRESS RELEASE: Creative Commons Celebrates Fifth Birthday With Parties, Melissa Reeder, 12/12/2007