cc-nz - [Cc-nz] CC Licensed Photos, a review of use

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Hamish MacEwan <hamish.macewan AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] CC Licensed Photos, a review of use
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 14:26:21 +1200

Hi,

Thought this might be of interest, particularly to those, like me, who
thought the requirements of the CC licences were simple and easily
complied with...

"I've tried to follow how these photos have been used online, as well,
to understand how–and how well–freely licensed images are used by news
websites. Of the 42 uses I’ve looked at there are:"

http://ragesoss.com/blog/2013/07/12/the-use-aaron-swartz-photographs/

Interesting, particularly the non-compliant use described here:

"the more significant places that don’t use any attribution include
the Boston NPR station, Democracy Now, and a Fast Company piece by the
project lead of Creative Commons Brazil."

People who might be expected to know and/or behave better.

Hamish.