cc-nz - [Cc-nz] RIAA: online copying pales in comparison to offline swapping

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] RIAA: online copying pales in comparison to offline swapping
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:29:12 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Thought this might be of interest. TorrentFreak reports on a leaked
RIAA presentation which admits that using online services like
MegaUpload makes up a tiny fraction of the unlicensed copying of
copyright works, and that the majority are copied directly without
using the internet:
https://torrentfreak.com/riaa-online-music-piracy-pales-in-comparison-to-offline-swapping-120726/

Meanwhile, I continue to find hosting organisation using BitTorrent to
slash the costs of distribution for independent artists. First, I came
across Vodo.net, the indie film site which was used to distribute the
excellent crowdsourcing documentary 'Us Now'. Then there is ClearBit
(formerly LegalTorrents), who offer a range of hosting options (from
free listing in their indexes to paid hosting of official copies of
works):
http://www.clearbits.net/about/

BitTorrent founder Bram Cohen recently announced the start of
beta-testing for BitTorrent Live, a system for using BitTorrent swarms
to share the load of streaming events like sports games, and concerts
(and police brutality at protests and occupations?).
http://blog.bittorrent.com/2012/02/10/two-bittorrent-live-events-this-week/

These, and others like them, are opportunities for emerging artistic
creators to find and grow an audience. Especially those who use
CreativeCommons licenses and crowdfunding sites like IndieGoGo,
KickStarter, and our own PledgeMe, hoping to cover their costs (and
even make a living) through micropatronage rather than by enforcing an
artificial scarcity of copies in order to individually monetize them.

He mihi mahana

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407

  • [Cc-nz] RIAA: online copying pales in comparison to offline swapping, Danyl Strype, 07/30/2012