cc-nz - [Cc-nz] CreativeCommons Kiwi uploaded to Archive.org in Webm and Theora

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: NZOSS Open Discussion List <openchat AT lists.nzoss.org.nz>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] CreativeCommons Kiwi uploaded to Archive.org in Webm and Theora
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:34:44 +1200

Kia ora koutou

I have uploaded the Ogg Theora and WebM versions of the ccKiwi video
to Archive.org:
http://www.archive.org/details/CreativecommonsKiwi

Wikimedia Commons doesn't current accept WebM or Matroska (.mkv)
container files. If anybody wants to transcode the MP4 from Vimeo into
Theora with a .ogg container and upload it to Wikimedia, go for it!

User-friendly free code software to use for file conversions:
GNU/ Linux: Arista Transcoder
www.transcoder.org

Mac or Windows: Miro Video Converter
http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

I'll keep seeding the torrents from my computer until the end of the
day, in case anyone else wants to download it that way. Does anyone
know how to create a .torrent that will allow a swarm of people to
download from Archive.org using BitTorrent?

Hei kōnā

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Allowing the university to be turned into the tool of business is
allowing it to be corrupted."
Richard Stallman
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/Stallman.xml

"The content industry has done a good job convincing the world that
the internet will enable what they call 'piracy' That has obscured the
fact that the internet will also enable an extraordinary potential for
creativity. And it has obscured the fact that the weapons they use to
eradicate 'piracy' will also destroy the environment for this
'creativity.' They spray DDT to kill a gnat. We say: 'Silent Spring.'"
_Lawrence Lessig
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/digitalmedia/lessig.htm