cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] CC parochial

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Sam Stephens <sam AT postmoderncore.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] CC parochial
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 07:05:56 +1200

And another one here - see essay I just posted :-)

My understanding is that once something is in the public domain, you
have free reign. Short of breaking other laws - defamation,
misinformation, etc, you can use the work in any fashion you choose,
without attribution. However, a company couldn't then take this public
domain work and then claim copyright on it - but the fact they can
utilise it without attribution means they can still exploit you.

Hence, unless alternative legal frameworks are put in place, copyright
is the only framework creators have to protect their work from the kind
of blatant theft you describe.

Remember that unless you're using NoCommercial versions of the CC
licenses, money can be made from your work without you receiving any, as
long as attribution is provided.

Agreed that the social element of CC licenses is important, and the
message that their existence sends to a society that considers knowledge
and cultural capital is only of interest as a product that can be
monetized. Having recently heard stories of folk in publishing
industries describing CC licenses as "promoting piracy" enforces the
important of CC as a social movement that hopefully will lead to changes
to the way people view intellectual "property", as current viewpoints
are so bankrupt.

--
postmoderncore netlabel
http://postmoderncore.com/